We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe + Pilanesberg

4 posts
Madikwe + Pilanesberg

Hello! We are flying from Germany to Cape Town with two kids 7 years old beginning of April ( easter). We will spend 3 days there fly to Johannesburg and in principle travel by road transfer to Madikwe River Lodge 2 nights and from there to Kwa Maritane Lodge in Pilanesberg 3 nights. We wonder if it worth the trip to Madikwe for two nights, not only in terms of money, also time with the kids. We thought maybe 5 nights in Kwa Maritane would be too much. Please could you kindly advice? Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Greater...
Level Contributor
3 918 posts
1 review
1. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

I would spend more time in Madikwe, less time in Pilanesberg

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
2 044 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

I agree with the above, I’d choose Madikwe over Pilanesberg, maybe soend all nights there but if it’s costly find a cheaper option for the 3 nights.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
317 posts
29 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

Madikwe usually offers good game viewing. I would look for a lodge with a close, active waterhole to entertain the kids.... and the adults.

Level Contributor
45 posts
4. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

Same Same Madikwe 5 days.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
6 614 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

5 nights in a Private game reserve equates to 10 game dirves, unless you are able to self drive at these reserves.

The drives start at dawn and the afternoon one finishes in the evening which means a late dinner. I am not sure how children of 7 years would cope with this schedule and 10 drives over relativley small areas might even be boring for them .

I would consider more days in Cape Town which offers so much more for a family holiday , as well as probably being more budget friendly .

i have read recent comments that the roads in Pilansburg are in a very bad condition.

Edited: 31 December 2023, 16:22
Europe
Level Contributor
6 208 posts
109 reviews
42 helpful votes
6. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

I think 5 nights in the same lodge in Madikwe are a lot.

You can stay 2 n Pilenesberg and 3 Madikwe or to stay longer in Cape Town.

4 posts
7. Re: Madikwe + Pilanesberg

Thank you for all replies! That was very very helpful! We are excited to visit South Africa. We will do 3 nights Madikwe and 2 nights in pilanesberg and in this second lodge maybe the kids can skip some game drives. I hope they can cope with 6 game drives in Madikwe, I love game drives ( only done two days self drive in Etosha). In cape town we had planned three days with two day tours ( city center+ table mountain and hope cape + boulders) and half day to go to waterfront on our own. To be honest we are a bit worried about the safety, maybe because you read all the stories on the internet. Over there we plan to stay at the culligan hotel in city center. Just a question, is it safe to arrive at johannesburg airport late around 21.30 and take the hotel transfer? Or we better book earlier flight to avoid night time? Thank you very much and happy new year !

Reply to: Madikwe + Pilanesberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.