We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madekwi - weather early/mid November

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Madekwi - weather early/mid November

We plan to visit South Africa late October to mid November starting in Cape Town and ending with 3 nights at Madekwi. All the information we have seen says November is the start of the rain season. Would this make a big difference to the experience and wildlife we could see, and would we better to wait until next September? Unfortunately we are stuck with those timings if we go this year.

I'd be grateful for some advice.

2 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 473 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Madekwi - weather early/mid November

It is the start of the rainy season for Madikwe GR area but there is very much weather still. Some years rains start from October, or some years it can be late November. Typically it's as thunderstorms, so they do pass over and you might not get wet where you are but see them from afar. So generally/typically you won't get persistent days of rain but you should expect to get some showers if you spend a few days in the area. For wildlife viewing, Madikwe is fenced so all the wildlife is still in the reserve, but when it rains and for a few days after there is less reliance on waterholes and it needs a bit more luck to come across wildlife that is more dispersed in the 'bush'. What I would note is it will be hot (for a Brit) typical day time temps peak over 30°C with possible days over 35°C and nighttime / dawn temps can be over 20°C. I would go (and have done several visits to Kruger NP) in November as it tends to be quieter time of year for travellers, but only if you cope ok with heat.

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Madekwi - weather early/mid November

Thanks so much for your advice. The heat is a big factor actually which I hadn’t thought about so your reply has been so helpful!

Reply to: Madekwi - weather early/mid November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.