We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

Levittown...
Level Contributor
267 posts
29 reviews
17 helpful votes
Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

We are trying to plan a vacation to madagascar and need to fly out of Johannesburg so figured we would check out madikwe or go back to sabi sands. We would love to see a few wild dogs bc we have yet to see them.

We have 3 or 4 days before we fly to madagascar.

1. Where do we have the best chance of seeing wild dofs in madikwe?

2. Are there any hotels/lodges that you absolutely loved? We would love a watering hole and pool....but not necessary

3. We have stayed at arathusa in sabi sands and loved it there. So we would be up to going back

Any suggestions are welcome

Beautiful lodging w good animal sightings (love hearing animals while sleeping). Beautiful scenery and a little unique...

5 replies to this topic
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
9 235 posts
69 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

I believe there are wild dogs at Madikwe but I didn't see them last year--nor at Sabi Sand! (Savannah Lodge.) I stayed at Madikwe Safari Lodge which has a pool next to a waterhole! I finally saw wild dogs this March, but in Botswana. At Madikwe the lodges can traverse the whole reserve, so if the dogs have been spotted you'll have the chance to see them.

Edited: 2 years ago
Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 226 posts
2. Re: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

We've had good sightings fairly recently. One of our staff was at MalaMala in April with 2 consecutive days of exceptional dog encounters. There were newborn pups and a few packs on the property that started denning in the area. MalaMala is higher in cost compared to Arathusa, but may be worth your consideration?

If you don't mind going further afield and have the budget for a luxury safari lodge, Tswalu in the southern Kalahari is also an exceptional destination. They've got some unique species that you likely haven't seen on your previous safari(s) and they've got collared dogs there that can be found using radio frequencies for research purposes. Based on a 3-4 night stay, I think your chances of seeing dogs there are very, very high.

MalaMala is located on the banks of the Sand River. Both MalaMala and Tswalu have lovely pools.

Another option would be to book Kirkman's Kamp. Rates are marginally less than MalaMala and they have traversing rights to the southern Charleston area of MalaMala Reserve.

Kota Tabuchi - Managing Director: Africa - Travel Beyond

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
9 197 posts
621 reviews
300 helpful votes
3. Re: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

It really is all about luck! I have seen wild dogs on all my trips to the Klaserie, but I appreciate that I am very lucky

As you can see, somebody had no luck at Madikwe and a travel agent had somebody see them recently at Mala Mala. But ask somebody else and that could be the other way round or no sightings at either or sightings at both!

White River, South...
Level Contributor
2 930 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

What time of year will you be travelling? If you travel during the denning months of the dogs then your chances would be higher, as there are certain lodges, i.e. Kirkman's Kamp, who have had dogs denning on their property for the past couple of years.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
63 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs

I have seen great wild dog sightings at Londolozi and Mala Mala (Sabi Sands) and in Zambia…did not see them in Madikwe.

Reply to: Madikwe or sabi sands for wild dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madikwe Game Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.