We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati game reserve

Which Timbavati Private Nature Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
Level Contributor
89 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
News re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati game reserve

We stayed in a lodge in the reserve last year and loved it and were thinking of booking again until I clicked on a link on Facebook (dailymaverick.co.za) which says the a hunting licence for the Timbavati reserve has been submitted and approved which includes a huge quota of animals: buffalo, elephants, white rhinos, lions, kudu, impala, waterbuck, hippos, hyena, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest but worse still it also includes leopards and even a super tusker elephant (a rare species). May be I am naïve but I was appalled by this and wish I'd known this last year and questioned the lodge owners. Has anyone else heard this and if not is it worth asking before you book as totally disagree with trophy hunting which is why I was happy to pay high price to stay in the reserve and pay the conservation fee.

2 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: News re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati game reserve

There is a long on-going discussion on exactly this subject here -

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g312…

Southampton
Level Contributor
89 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati game reserve

Thanks Van de Caab - I don't know how I missed it but I suppose the more publicity it gets the better.

Reply to: News re: Trophy hunting in the Timbavati game reserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Timbavati Private...