We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

What is the appropriate amount to tip at a four star safari lodge? We will be there for four days. Who do you tip and how much?

Also, we will be in CT for the day on a private guided tour that will last about 8 hours. Any suggestions for the tip for the tour guide who is also the driver?

Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

Guidelines on tipping are normally provided by the lodge on their welcome letter on arrival. However I would recommend tipping around between 50-80 rand per full day to Lead Ranger depending on your experience. Some Rangers will go that extra mile to ensure you have the best sightings ever, after all it is in their interest to do so, if so I would tip around 100 rand. If you have a driver and ranger on your game drive I suggest tipping the driver around 30 rand per day. Bear in mind that some people do not tip at all, however if you have a memorable day and very knowledgeable and experienced ranger they deserve a good tip, they don't receive a great salary and tips can make all the difference.

I hope this is of help and I am sure you will have a fantastic time and hope you enjoy your trip.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
2 882 posts
101 reviews
60 helpful votes
2. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

Hi,

I would tip the Ranger around R300 and the spotter about R100 for a four night stay. Then an envelope is usually left for the rest of the staff - R200 should suffice. This covers two persons.

If the owner of the business is guiding you on a private tour, I would not tip. If it is an employee of the company, R150 is adequate.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 575 posts
60 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

I suggest larger tips than those described above. Tipping is a significant component of the overall compensation for the Rangers, Trackers, Camp staff. I usually tell my clients that a couple should tip the Ranger $25 per day, the Tracker roughly half that. $10 per day for the camp staff. Multiply those numbers by 7 to get the equivalent in South Africa rand. Obviously, if you are not satisfied with the services you receive during your stay, that should affect your tipping. But I'm betting you will NOT be dissatisfied.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
4 posts
109 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

Well, perhaps the game lodge owners should be paying them more of a cut of the $1500 per day they are charging their guests. The ranger and the tracker deserve 80% of the credit for making a stay memorable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

My wife and I gave 100 rand per day to our ranger and 75 rand per day to the tracker (he worked pretty hard). Among the house staff, our tips varied based upon our experiences with them. One house staff member, in particular, went above and beyond to make our stay feel like home, so he got more than the others.

Along with the tip, if anyone really went above and beyond for you, you should write a note of thanks and certainly bring it to the attention of the management. Everyone likes to hear "job well done" and "thank you" now and again.

Just my two cents!

nyc
Level Contributor
15 087 posts
6. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

I use the same guidelines as bwanadave mentions, most everywhere worldwide. It's a place to start and if the individuals don't live up to expectations (rare), give a bit less; if going above/beyond, it could be more.

I never base the tip on what I might be spending for a room/tent per nite or how much the individual providing the service receives in salary.

Lodge/camps most all provide a guideline in their Guest Services Book, some of which can be way over-the-top, others more reasonable... so you use your own good judgement.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
79 helpful votes
7. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

Hi! Do we give the tip to the trackers and ranger at the end of our stay or is it common to tip after the trip? We plan on staying at a lodge for 3 nights and wonder when would be an appropriate time to tip?

Thank!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2 086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

Hi there Emma,

Generally at the end of your stay with your lodge :). You can pop it in an envelope (lodges usually supply these) and hand directly to your tracker & ranger before you leave.

Warm regards

Jacqui Sive l Owner, Lodge Trackers & African Enchanted

Heaton, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
61 reviews
62 helpful votes
9. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

I make hand made cards and I've made sufficient for all the people we will need to tip. We'll put the gratuities inside with a hand written message and hope they will enjoy receiving them. Looking forward to getting there, only 4 more days and we'll be on our way.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2 086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
10. Re: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT

CyberGran, that's a great point to share - It makes it really personal too, instead of just 'tipping' :).

Reply to: Tipping at safari lodge and for day tour of CT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balule Nature Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.