We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenfire Lodge

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
67 posts
232 reviews
100 helpful votes
Greenfire Lodge
Save

We are staying at Greenfire Lodge in April. I want to be forewarned before arriving. Can anyone let me know if the lodge supplies toiletries (i.e. soap, shampoo, conditioner) as on their website they only mention toilet paper. I would also like to know if bottled water is supplied to the rooms. We have booked "full board" and I don't particularly want to drink tap water. I would appreciate your assistance.

Regards Julie

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 126 posts
79 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

Why don't you contact the lodge itself - they are usually very good at answering any questions you have

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

Just want to point out that Gauteng has one of the best tap water in the world. As far as quality and safety is concerned. While the same may not be true elsewhere if you're going to drink tap water it's best in Gauteng.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9 897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

It doesn't look like drinks of any kind are included but there's not a lot of info on that website. I didn't even see toilet paper is supplied. I would assume soap and shampoo, not conditioner. But as above, ask them. Ask about Doom and Peaceful Sleep (room and personal use bug spray) also. They should be available. Otherwise you should buy some before arrival. There's a pharmacy and other shops in JNB if you are going directly upon arrival.

I drink tap water in most areas of S Africa. It's perfectly safe except in rural areas with boreholes (generally safe but tastes awful with high mineral content). We buy large bottles and transfer to smaller reusable bottles so we aren't so wasteful - my husband can't drink tap water except near home. He's very sensitive. There's currently a long term drought (even with some recent rain) so use water wisely.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
67 posts
232 reviews
100 helpful votes
4. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

Thank you for giantsgrl for your reply. I have been on two websites and they are sketchy. I have my travel agent communicating with the lodge, so I will hopefully get an answer.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
67 posts
232 reviews
100 helpful votes
5. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

Thanks Mike, I'm not sure where Gauteng is situated to Greenfire in Balule, but I would rather be safe and have bottled water.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
67 posts
232 reviews
100 helpful votes
6. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

Thank you Cbir for your reply. I thought is was very strange that only toilet paper was mentioned (one would think that was a given). Shampoos etc. also are always provided when staying in establishments, but these were not mentioned on their website and also on a hotel booking site, so I am thinking I should have my own supply. As for bottled water, I will take your advice and purchase several large bottles at the airport for our 5 days there. Are the insects a huge problem? I don't know about Doom and Peaceful Sleep products. I have packed a heavy duty personal mosquito spray which we purchased in the tropics of Cairns (Australia).

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9 897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Greenfire Lodge
Save

You can contact them directly even though you used an agent.

Since I usually travel with carry on only, I buy mozzie spray there. Thus the Peaceful Sleep/Doom reference. You need to use bug spray to prevent malaria in April, especially around dawn and dusk. Wear socks and spray to protect your ankles - itchy bites suck. Bugs won't likely be a big problem but you never know. But since I don't take anti malarials, I'm pretty careful about spraying me and the room. Sleep with a fan or a/c as mozzies don't handle moving air well. Be sure your spray has 20% or more DEET or high concentration lemon eucalyptus. With the latter, use often for best results.

I don't know how you are getting there, but it will be difficult to bring water jugs on flights. Hoedspruit - the town nearest the Balule Gate - has plenty of stores. Even an Oasis Water shop. They reuse their jugs and the water is good. Or just get it at Spar or PicknPay. For a small added fee, your transfer driver can take you into town (assuming you are flying to HDS and getting a private transfer).

Have fun.

8. Re: Greenfire Lodge

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Balule Nature Reserve
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.