We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
259 reviews
119 helpful votes
Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

We are travelling in July to Namibia, Victoria Falls and a short (two day) stint to Sabi Sands. Malarone and other pills have serious interactions with Warfarin (Coumadin) and others, Lariam has the potential of horrible side effects (according to Drugs.com).

It feels like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Does anybody have experience with travel at that time through these regions and possibly prophylaxis, or protection, while on Coumadin?

Thanks for guidance

16 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 542 posts
464 reviews
508 helpful votes
1. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

In July you don't need it for Kruger NP. I don't know about the other places

Europe
Level Contributor
6 186 posts
100 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

I would ask to doctors and not on a travel forum.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
259 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

Which I did, and the advice was inconclusive

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

Hi Joe , fellow American here. I'm currently here in Namibia after visiting South Africa and in a week I'm going back to South Africa. I've also just come from Botswana and Kenya and Zambia.. I've been coming to southern Africa for years and I have never taken malaria pills. I've also never been asked at lord crossing or airport immigration if I have any shots or any vaccine certifications. It'll be winter time in July and it's cooler and there will be much less bugs flying around in general than there will be in the warmer months. You might consider that I'm taking a big risk but at the same time the rate of infection for malaria is solo, especially with visitors that to me it's just not worth it. I also used to be on blood thinners and never even consider taking something like a malaria pill during that time. I hope this response helps.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
259 reviews
119 helpful votes
5. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

Hi John, thanks for the feedback. It confirms my assumptions and my thoughts as Coumadin user.

My family is typically prone to mosquito bites and may decide to go with Mar alone, but I will focus on "mechanical" protection and repellents.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
9 232 posts
69 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

I have taken Malarone for years with no issues if you think it could interfere with your coumarin--but ask your doctor!--Malarone may be an option for your companions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 350 posts
324 reviews
870 helpful votes
7. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

Yep, ask your Doctor 🏥

No one here knows your full medical condition + history, allergies or other medical factors.

Doesn't really matter what others do or don't do. Or what their reactions to a medication are.

Thus, cannot advise what the Medical risk to you is.

Edited: 14 May 2024, 16:54
Bee
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
102 posts
47 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

“Yep, ask your Doctor 🏥”

The OP already did so - see answer #3

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
333 reviews
192 helpful votes
9. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

I emailed my tour operator about the risk of malaria at the time I'm going. They gave useful suggestions.

They are not doctors but they know the situation on the ground better. Maybe OP you can do the same.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
311 posts
33 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues

freddysg has some great advice in post 9. I suggest people contact their lodging and ask if mosquitos are active at the time of their visit.

This local info combined with the information from a consultation with a qualified medical professional allows a person to make an informed decision.

Reply to: Malaria prophylaxis risk and issues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.