We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with lodge in Sabi Sands

Miami
Level Contributor
57 posts
Help with lodge in Sabi Sands

I posted the question in the SA forum, but I just realized that maybe this one if a better fit.

I’m planning our first trip to South Africa during the dry season, and I need help choosing a lodge. We’ll be celebrating our wedding anniversary and I want to make sure I’m making the right decisions. Last year, when we originally planned to go, we did some research and we narrowed it down to the Sabi Sands Game Reserve and within the reserve, the Lion Sands Ivory Lodge and the andBeyond Tengile Lodge were our favorites. This year we were hoping to stay at either one of them, however, prices are even higher and availability at this point is also a concern. We kept looking and came across the Lion Sands River Lodge (River Suites) and the Silvan Safari Lodge. While I understand they probably don’t play in the same league, they are still very nice, and their prices are much better.

For those of you who are familiar with these lodges, can you justify the huge price difference between them? Are Lion Sands Ivory Lodge and the andBeyond Tengile Lodge that much better than the other two to pay around $5K more? We do enjoy luxury hotels, but the prices of these lodges are very high even compared to places like Bora Bora or the Maldives. If it is worthy, we are willing to compromise on hotels in Cape Town/Winelands to make it happened.

Lastly, can anyone compare Lion Sands River Lodge (River Suites) with Silvan? If prices are similar, which one will you go with? Is Silvan a notch above Lion Sands River? Should we expect better food and service at Sivan? We like them both for very different reasons. We liked the aesthetics of Lion Sands River Lodge and the possibly of seeing more animals from the lodge/room. We like the Silvan’s smaller size and the possibility of a more detailed attention.

Thank you so much!

3 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
2 044 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Help with lodge in Sabi Sands

Maybe give an overall budget for the other areas like CT as most of those lodges do combo deals with CT lodges and if might work out a bit more in budget with what you want.

I really dont think you would be disappointed in any of those lodges as they are all great, the wildlife would be my priority but they all are beautiful with great service.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Miami
Level Contributor
57 posts
2. Re: Help with lodge in Sabi Sands

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your answer. More than anything I'd like to find out if anyone can compare those two lodges. I have read tons of reviews and most of them are positive, but haven't been able to find a comparison of the two.

My budget is around $3k per night for the safari. Silvan has the stay 4 pay 3 offer which is great, but is not a decisive factor. I think that for our first safari experience, 3 nights is good enough. I'd rather stay 3 nights at a hotel with better food and service, than 4 at another one of less quality.

Thank y,

Levittown...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Help with lodge in Sabi Sands

I really love africa (been to 11 countries so far) and am planning my 3rd trip to South Africa right now. Most of the lodgings in sabi sands area are amazing and I feel like I do not need to spend an arm and a leg to have amazing sightings. all the places I have stayed have had beautiful food (some better than others--but I've never walked away without being happy ). I stayed at arathusa safari lodge and loved it (and it's a very good price). Great game viewing, rooms are lovely (not huge but just big enough), food was really good, had a massage while there overlooking the watering hole etc.

I personally love staying on a watering hole and a more laid back place.

I have also stayed in the klauserie area of greater sabi sands and absolutely loved senalala safari lodge---they make you feel like a part of the family! also had great game viewing (esp the wild dogs which was a bucket list animal for me to see).

I am sure wherever you go you. will have an amazing trip....for me I would go with a beautiful place that is less expensive and spend add'l nights ! if you have questions just reach out :)

Reply to: Help with lodge in Sabi Sands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.