We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

Staying in Sabi Sands. Is it recommended to have a rental car for our stay? things we might want to do by car when there? or no need? Lodge offers 2 game drives/day. Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 477 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

Typically you've paid for a fully inclusive experience and you are expected to stay in the lodge between game drives. Depending where you are staying and transferring from, it is usually more comfortable to take a transfer, but it can save money sometimes to drive yourselves. Depends how adventurous you are and where you are coming from / going to afterwards.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
1 015 posts
55 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

I agree with 1. Contact the lodge and ask what they charge for a transfer. Then check car rental rates and see which is less expensive. We usually stay for 4 nights at a lodge in the past it was cheaper to use a rental car for 4 people but when we went in May 2023 it was less expensive to do a transfer. We have always used Avis/Budget.

United States
Level Contributor
1 855 posts
81 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

"Staying in Sabi Sands. Is it recommended to have a rental car for our stay? things we might want to do by car when there?"

Other than driving yourself to the lodge and back out when you leave, you are not allowed to go out and drive the reserve in your own private car so unless it's less expensive to rent the car rather than getting a transfer, there is no need for one inside Sabi Sand.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
104 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

Like others said, the only use for the car is to get you to the lodge at the beginning, and out at the end.

Renting a car has a few disadvantages:

1. Navigation. The “roads” aren’t marked. Maybe you can trust Google, but idk.

2. Time. We got to the lodge at 2pm on the first day. Spending time on rental could have cost us the game drive. Similarly on the return. We left in a hurry after the game drive to reach our flight.

3. Reviews of rental agencies in cape town (where I looked) are horrendous. False charges for damage seem to be common there. I don’t know whether it’s the same in the Kruger area.

We opted for the transfer ($200 each way) even though it’s likely more than the rental would have been.

Europe
Level Contributor
6 209 posts
109 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

I agree with 1 and 2, ask the lodge for the price of transfer and then compare it to car rental.

Roads are usually well marked with good indications and to drive in South Africa is quite easy, even for us that drive on the other side.

6. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

I recommend you try Pace Car Rental. I used it in my stay in Cape Town last June, amazing service and amazing prices. They went the extra mile to make sure my rental went smoothly. Actually wish they had a branch out here in Namibia

Edited: 06 May 2024, 14:31
7. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

https://www.pacecarrental.co.za/vehicle/ if you'd like to give it a try

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 409 posts
312 reviews
872 helpful votes
8. Re: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?

The roads to the lodges I have stayed at were not a problem to follow.

And allowing sufficient travel time for flight would prevent unnecessary stress.

Reply to: Rent a car or hire a driver to Sabi Sands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.