We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umkumbe to Elephant plains

Kerala, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Umkumbe to Elephant plains

I have my stay split between Umkumbe and Elephant Plains and I am self driving. Google maps show me a path from Umkumbe to Gowri gate and from there to Elephant plains. Will I be allowed to self drive that road?

8 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
9 206 posts
580 reviews
300 helpful votes
1. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

I wouldn’t use google maps, it is highly likely to be inaccurate

Ask Elephant Plains for directions directly

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 477 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

Completely agree with Lisa. speak with both Umkumbe and EP. You must leave from Shaws Gate and reenter at Gowrie Gate. There is a route through the communities around the park but it involves corrugated gravel roads and you need good navigation. Or a longer route using the more main roads to Hazyview and up to Acornhoek and then back across. So yes speak to the lodges.

D J
3 posts
3. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

Just curious if you decided to make this drive and if you could elaborate on your experience.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6 477 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

D J it's very unlikely the OP will return to see this, so unless they ticked for notifications, you may be better direct messaging them?

We drove from EP to Paul Kruger gate a few years ago (just past Shaw gate but into the national park). We drove via the communities, as I said you need good navigation skills. Whichever way you head to Gowrie Gate you'll come across corrugated roads and potholes where there is supposed to be tarmac so whichever way you choose leave lots of time. As much as we complain there are potholes on the main tarmac roads, the lack of maintenance from the local authority for the communities around the park is shockingly poor and once you drive the roads you understand why cars end up in such bad condition (as-in I think there is no maintenance or grading done).

D J
3 posts
5. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

Thank you for the heads-up. As much as we wanted to stay 2 & 2 at two separate lodges to mix it up, I'm thinking we may just spend 4 nights at Arathusa to make it simple. I appreciate the advice.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
1 015 posts
55 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

Arathusa is great! You won't be disappointed.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

agree with @lisasplaces - while being driven between lodges in that area, many times we were stopped for help by wayward drivers who had relied on Google or other forms like that. Get directions right from the Lodge personnel.

D J
3 posts
8. Re: Umkumbe to Elephant plains

I'm thinking about doing just 2 nights in Arathusa now and self-driving. The drive to that specific resort looks really simple as it's very close to gowrie gate.

Reply to: Umkumbe to Elephant plains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.