We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silvan Safari reviews?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 645 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Silvan Safari reviews?

Hi Everyone - I'm looking at some options for Sabi Sand in October and Silvan has come up with a stay 4 pay 3 special.

I've been in the northern Sabi Sand quite a few times and always had amazing game drives, but it would be great to get some insight into whether the lodge is worth it (subjective I know).

I was wondering if any of the regulars had been and could provide any feedback or reviews? There are plenty of 5 star reviews, but I'd rather trust the insights of bush regulars to provide some of the nuances and comparisons to other lodges.

One review I did find mentioned that the food was not up to scratch which is a shame as that seems to be one area they really push.

The other options in this price range with a similar deal seems to be Mala Mala. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Silvan vs Mala Mala debate :)?

I know a lot of people mention Mala Mala being away from the fences, whereas Silvan will have some fence lines nearby.

Cheers :)

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 645 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Silvan Safari reviews?

Just to add Simbambili is also coming out high on my list of options at the moment so that would be of interest too.

Bassersdorf...
Level Contributor
157 posts
41 reviews
169 helpful votes
2. Re: Silvan Safari reviews?

I know this is an older post but the food at Silvan was very good. We just spent 4 nights there as part of our honeymoon and it was definitely better than the food at Saseka Tented Camp in Thornybush.

We also met a lady that has been going on Safari for 40+ years and she has been in every lodge at least once or twice if not more (it was her second stay at Silvan in 6 months). Silvan has really good staff, our butler was previously 6.5 years at Singita and our guide worked at Royal Malewane and Cheetah Plains before he joined Silvan.

That being said, she mentioned that Rattrays is probably her favorite lodge all around.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
264 posts
41 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Silvan Safari reviews?

Chiming in too even though it's late. I just returned from Silvan. two weeks ago. It was phenomenal. Best game sightings I've seen anywhere (early-mid February), amazing food and just wonderful staff. The rooms are enormous, bigger even than Tengile River Lodge. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Reply to: Silvan Safari reviews?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.