We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days at Sabi Sand

cuiaba
6 posts
Save Topic
Two days at Sabi Sand

Hi.

I'm planning a trip to Kruger, and already decided:

Day 1: Arrive at Skukuza after lunch. Self drive afternoon and spend the night on a Skukuza Bungalow.

Day 2: Self drive all day and spend the night on a Skukuza Bungalow.

Days 3 and 4: Spend 2 days/nights at Geiger's camp (Timbavati reserve).

Days 5 and 6: Sabi Sand.

I have all the reservations for days 1 to 4, but I can't find two nights at the same lodge on Sabi Sand, (October) except for Arathusa and Elephant Plains, which I am trying to avoid because they use to put 8-10 guests on a game drive vehicle.

So, my question is: how bad would be staying at 2 different lodges in only 2 days at sabi sand, for example, first night at Inyiati and second night at Leopard Hills, or first night at Lion Sands and second at Leopard Hills?

Thanks in advance for any tips

6 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
806 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

I wouldn't do it but I understand your reason for wanting less people in the vehicle and it sounds like you really feel that 2 nights at either Arathusa or Elephant Plains won't work for you.

Based off that, Inyati and Leopard Hills could work out. These 2 lodges are near each other so transferring from 1 to the other will be easy and short. They both traverse the western sector so your pictures will be from the same area giving you a better chance of seeing something you want to take pictures of, same as if you had stayed at the same lodge 2 nights in a row. I am not sure about Inyati's seating though. I *think* (and am happy to be corrected) that they can put more than 6 in a vehicle. Did you check on this? Leopard Hills is definitely 6 or less.

If Inyati puts more than 6 in a vehicle, note that Lion Sands is in the South. You will get pictures in 2 different areas of Sabi Sand, western and southern sectors but you will also only get 2 game drives there. The transfer is longer and don't forget, transfers are not free so that adds costs to already expensive lodges. I am not sure I would find this worth it for 1 night. Just my opinion though.

You've checked every single lodge in Sabi Sand?

cuiaba
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

Dear Loretta. Thank you for your help. I just received a quotation from Chetwa Chetwa and they have a room for the two days. So, my question is: one night at Elephant Plains plus one night at Leopard Hills or two nights at Chetwa Chetwa..all the other lodges that work with 6 people at safari vehicles are fullly booked for the two days.

United States
Level Contributor
806 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

I have stayed at Chitwa Chitwa. It's a very nice lodge with a very large waterhole. We saw elephants swimming across it. We had 6 in our vehicle. Rangers were good. For your purposes, I would say it could work out well to stay put for the 2 nights but I still think it all depends on what you're looking for. I wouldn't wait too long to decide, these lodges fill up quickly :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

I suggest the 2 nights at Chitwa Chitwa. Better to stay and relax at one camp than camp-hop after 1 night.

Edited: 17 March 2017, 14:21
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8 554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

A night at Lion Sands and one at Leopard Hills would be a great combination, if you are OK with the one-night-at-each idea. If you are planning to continue self-driving, this all gets a lot easier..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

cuiaba
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days at Sabi Sand

I Agree..but Lion Sands has only Ivory Lodge available, and is out my Budget. River Lodges is fully booked.

Thanks.

Reply to: Two days at Sabi Sand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sabi Sand Game Reserve