We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

4 posts
Save Topic
Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Hello from England.

We are a party of 4 adults on a road trip and have only just found out about the festival. Obviously all the rooms are booked up locally so the question is what sort of public transport is available from places like Batesville or preferably, West Helena. Yes, we could drive but all 4 of us like a beer or 6 :)

We dont mind a bus or a cab but i cant find any info as to who, what or costs.

Any help would be cool so we can get on and book up for the saturday night.

Cheers. S.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33 019 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Check their website for info.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33 019 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

http://www.jukejointfestival.com/

(forgot to add the link)

Another list of festivals in the area and dates-

www.cathead.biz/CatHead/Music_Calendar.html

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Thanks PeachBelle but i have allreay done those sites. I need information on actually getting to Clarksdale, buses or taxis from other towns that are, maybe 20 miles away. I cant find anything online.

Cheers, S

Mentioned in this post
Clarksdale
Clarksdale
Mississippi
United States
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

The public transportation you want does not exist in this area of the US. I will check with some folks I know and find there best suggestion.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33 019 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Yes it is small town America. The only place I know that has at least one taxi service is over in Oxford where Ole Miss is located. And that is miles away from Clarksdale.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Mississippi
Clarksdale
Clarksdale
Mississippi
United States
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

There are no Greyhound buses that run between these two towns. There are cab companies but I'll could not even guess what the rates would be for that trip. Sorry not much help.

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Tokay, thanks for confirming the lack of buses and for looking into it for me.

As there are no websites, ive called a cab company in Helena and the helpful Lady has told me its $45 each way. That wasnt bad i thought, even if it did cost me 10 bucks for the call, lol.

PeachBelle, oddly we are in Oxford, England, which im led to believe your Oxford is named after, We planned to go and have a little look round there too.

Cheers for your input folks,

S.

Edited: 21 March 2016, 22:14
Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Mississippi
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33 019 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Oh yes go over to Oxford and visit the historic square, great Square book store, eat at City Grocery or the Ajax diner and pop over to see William Faulkner's grave and his home Rowan Oak. Be sure to also drive thru the Ole Miss campus which has been named one of the prettiest college campuses in the US.

Oxford, MS is named after your Oxford because it hoped to be a center of learning in MS.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Mississippi
City Grocery
City Grocery
376 Reviews
Oxford, MS
Ajax Diner
Ajax Diner
664 Reviews
Oxford, MS
Rowan Oak
Rowan Oak
260 Reviews
Oxford, MS
United States
Level Contributor
125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

Have a wonderful trip, we're heading your way in June!

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Juke Joint Fest' transport 2016

So, a great trip and the Juke Joint fest' on Saturday was well worth the trip. Well, almost worth it.

I got in touch with a cab company before going and once more when in the US. On the day we needed them, i couldnt contact them at all. Another cab in Helena was contacted and i was told $45. They turned up, drove us miles with a flat tyre, got it changed in thier garden and then charged us $60 when we arrived in Clarksdale. We opted to find a different cab home but all we could find is Jolly Cab. To be fair, this cab was clean and safe but $150??? What else could we do. Over 4 bucks a mile. If we had known, we would of stayed in Memphis for another night. Ho hum.

The Festival had some great music and i would highly recomend it..... just dont get a cab :)

Mentioned in this post
Clarksdale
Clarksdale
Mississippi
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Get answers to your questions about Clarksdale