We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Hi, I am from New Zealand wanting to get from Memphis TN to Clarksdale. and back again in a week. I am going for a BLUES EXPERIENCE.

Can anyone advise. please. I have never driven Left hand drive.

Toots

8 replies to this topic
Birmingham
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Clarksdale is less than 2 hours from Memphis, so you should have time to expand your trip and cover quite a bit of the cradle of the Blues. The two main highways are US 61 & US49. These split at Clarksdale. Maybe concider doing a circular tour going as far south as Yazoo City, to encompass many juke joints and historic sites. Copy and paste the two addresses below for more info. Have a great time!

www.visitmississippi.org/poi-listing.aspx…

http://deltablues.net/

burleson,texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

I would suggest you take Hwy 61 from Memphis.

Are you staying in Clarksdale? When are you coming?

In Clarksdale I would suggest Ground Zero Blues Club (live music usually on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights), The Delta Blues Museum (1/2 block from GZ0) and The Cats Head Store (sells blues related items as well as cd's by local artists).

I would suggest that you consider visiting The BB King Museum in Indianola Ms. Indianola is about an hour and a half drive from Clarksdale and is worth the effort. You would drive south on Hwy 61, Exit onto Hwy 82 (Leland/Greenwood exit) go east to Indianola---easy drive and you will be in the Delta all the way.

Have a safe and fun trip.

Northland Region...
Level Contributor
237 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

The shack up inn, a wonderful place, but out of town.

The Juke Joint Festival weekend coming up -http://www.jukejointfestival.com/

Some amazing places nearby - http://msbluestrail.org/ -A great resource type in a name and it will provide a map.

Our motto every time we got behind the wheel and at intersections was "keep to the RIGHT"

Check the road trip forums as well.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_…

tripadvisor.com/…0

Enjoy.

Barking, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Hi old_brewster , how did your trip go? we're planning a similar trip next Easter.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30 449 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Here is a great link to info about travel from Memphis thru MS to New Orleans if planning a trip-

tripadvisor.com/…61519104

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

Make sure to visit Red's, Ground Zero, Bluesberry, and CatHead.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

The trip was good, but I finished sharing travel with fellow musicians. We were going to Clarkesdale for a music camp. Coming from New Zealand it was great to be a passenger and just looking. I am planning to go back again 2016.

Barking, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale

We also had a great time, we're looking to go back in 2016 for the Juke Joint Festival, the weekend of 16 April.

Reply to: Travel from Memphis to Claksdale
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarksdale