We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunflower River Festival

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunflower River Festival

I'm planning to go to the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival in August. I'm wondering if it is possible to book accommodation in town and visit without a hire car (i.e. is the Festival walking distance from the centre of town?). I have a driving licence but am not at all confident in left hand drive or navigating outside of the UK. The festival website does not give a very clear location. I may also be alone for this part of the trip and want to feel safe to get around on foot.

Also is it feasable to travel by bus from Memphis to Clarksdale?

If anyone can advise me I would appreciate this. I have emailed Clarksdale.com and the festival website and am yet to receive any response.

10 replies to this topic
Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Hi... great rooms to rent ABOVE the Ground Zero Blues Club in the heart of Clarksdale .. also The Riverside Hotel, in Clarksdale (ask for RAT)) NO CAR needed at Ground Zero since EVERYTHING is right there within walking distance and SAFE. I go alone often and I stay in either of these (BOOK NOW!!! go to their websites ... Riverside Hotel and also Ground Zero Blues Club .. Riverside is cheaper and guests who stay for Festival will give you rides over and back ... Ground Zero is in the middle of EVERYTHING!!! .. but a tad pricey but well worth it!!!)

See ya there :D

Sheindie

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Thanks for the advice. The Riverside sounds ideal. I just tried to get in contact with Rat but he is sick at the moment. Will keep trying!

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Hi ... I'll give you his private home number ... you will ask for 'Frank' (NOT Rat)

662-624-9163 (it's in Clarksdale, MS a few blocks away from hotel)

If his wife asks who you are, say 'a friend of a friend =)'

When Frank asks who gave you this number, say : "someone who LOVES staying at the RIverside told me to call you to book a room ... I'm flying in from London "

ok... hope this works out for you ... BOOK NOW!!!! :D I, personally, like the regular rooms (not downstairs) in the Riverside, although the shacks are really cool, too ... it's just so friendly at the Hotel :)

Best in Blues

Shein

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunflower River Festival

more info: once you get to Clarksdale go to Cat Head, ask for Roger ..he'll give you ALL the info, directions, advice and more that you could every dream of:

americanbluesscene.com/2012/…

Burleson, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Rosemary,

DH and I have gone to Sunflower yearly for the last 6 years. We love the festival and always have a great time.

I know where the Riverside is as we have frequently pass by it. There is no way I would recomend that anyone walk back and forth to the festival from there after dark. I would not consider this safe at all. I would strongly suggest that you explore other options! You might give Roger @ Cat Head a call and ask if he has any suggestions.

I do know that all the rooms near the festival do fill early. DH and I stay about 45 minutes north of Clarksdale in Tunica.

Have a safe and fun trip.

burleson,texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Oops, I signed in wrong. I wrote the reply above. My TA posts are under this name.

Again, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Hi, Rosemary =) (I write for Trip Advisor - 24 reviews so far =)

Rat is now at home so you can call (remember it's 'Frank' lol)

Tunica Resorts is 45 minutes north of Clarksdale .. needs a car :)

What I like at Ground Zero (apts) is that it's IN the heart of Clarksdale~

What I like at Riverside (rooms) is that everyone is SO FRIENDLY that you'll get rides into and back from the festival ~ just ask

Roger Stolle (Cat Head ..in Clarksdale) is a 'font' of info on EVERYTHING (I gave you the link earlier) I'll be there, too =)

Best in Blues, Shein

Edited: 20 January 2013, 05:19
Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunflower River Festival

if you can't book the Riverside in Clarksdale, email Cat Head in Clarksdale, Roger Stolle, for info on new places that've been built in Clarksdale ... he can really help! ...

Sheindie

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunflower River Festival

Thanks so much for all the advice above. I've made contact with Roger Stolle who is very helpful and says to pass on hello to Sheindie.

I agree about not walking back from the festival at night, will definately ask for lifts!

Accommodation - getting sorted. Now just awaiting the line up for the festival...

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunflower River Festival

You are quite welcome =)

...have a safe trip ...remember, it will be super humid, super hot down in the Delta come August ... you'll have a BLAST!!! I know we'll bump into each other :D

Best in Blues, Sheindie

Reply to: Sunflower River Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarksdale