We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

Newcastle
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
43 helpful votes
VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

Please HELP!!!

I'm starting to panic. I'm a UK citizen travelling to Mozambique in four days time for a diving holiday and have no entry visa.

Is it still possible to obtain a single entry tourist visa at Inhambane airport if I have proof of where I'm staying as a tourist?

I'm taking a direct flight to Inhambane from Johannesburg so don't have the option of applying for a VISA at Maputo airport, which one of the forum advisers has suggested.

We visited Inhambane in 2011 and got our VISA on arrival. Foolishly I didn't check whether the rules have since changed.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, You're my only hope!

8 replies to this topic
Tremelo, Belgium
Level Contributor
717 posts
196 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

There is another thread concerning VOA...look there at post 5

Don't panic ! :)

Inhambane Province...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

The rules have never changed but the way to implement them did! In fact, if you have a mozambican consulate in your home country, you are supposed to apply for the visa before arrival. But still at Inhambane airport, they usually give it, you should not worry too much but sure, come with the invitation letter (and/or booking confirmation) from the hotel where you will go to.

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
2 023 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

You are taking a risk, but you will probably be fine, your visa money is very welcome right now.

UK
Level Contributor
516 posts
71 reviews
99 helpful votes
4. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

Sorry....

We are some other unfortunates who didn't realise we needed a visa and have left it too late to get one (we don't live anywhere near London).

Any recent experience of UK citizens being allowed to purchase a visa on arrival at the airport? What did it cost? What paperwork did they need (eg vaccination certificates???)

Thanks for your patience - and hopefully reassurance!

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
2 023 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

You won't have a problem getting your visa. Helps if you have your accommodation reservations with you. It's about $50 I think at the moment, which is about 7000pounds I think? ;)

If you have been to a Yellow Fever area you need to have Yellow fever vaccination and card

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1 298 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

No one has been denied visa at Moz border in months, maybe years

UK
Level Contributor
516 posts
71 reviews
99 helpful votes
7. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

Just a brief report on this now that we are back home.

We did manage to get a Visa at Inhambane airport on arrival BUT I strongly suspect we were scammed.

Although we had prepared all our paperwork they acted as if this had never happened before and we were asked to fill in new forms, which put us at the back of the arrivals queue. After an hour we were the last two people left, and the officials asked for $98 each from both us. I expressed surprise but they insisted that was the price - and what could we do? I asked for a receipt and they pointed to the official visa receipt - which says ""VALOR: 2085 PAGO EM: USD"" - ie it did not say how much we paid in USD. By my calculation the equivalent of 2085 Meticais would be about $30. I wouldn't even have minded $40 or $50, but $98??? I asked again for a receipt showing what we had paid, and one of them produced a bit of paper saying the rate in dollars was $98, and the rate in Euros was €80. I suspect this was something they just printed out themselves, and I wish I had photographed it. But you start to feel very much at their mercy.

Left a very bad taste in our mouths - not a good way to welcome us to Mozambique!

On the way back we took photos of the 2 officials, but of course we had no evidence that we paid $98 each to them - and I'm not sure who we could complain to at that point?

Anyway, my advice to you if you arrive without a visa is do not let yourselves be back of the queue with nobody else around to witness what gets said and done. If the same thing happens to you, at least get a photo of their printout with the "rate" - this should be enough to file a police report if you are ripped off!

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
2 023 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport

So sad,

Yes, definitely ripped of. 2085mtn as you say is less than $30.

Reply to: VISA on arrival Inhambane airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inhambane
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.