We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
Safety

Hi We havent been to Inhambane for the past 5 years. What is the safety like now and the road in from Maputo. We looking to fo 2019. Is the reef at Lighthouse still worthwhile

5 replies to this topic
Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
2 023 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety

Mozambique is still safe like it was 5 years ago, statistically much much safer than South Africa. I wouldnt worry about safety. Road in Maputo is fine, there is a bad patch just where the ring road starts but you can go the Moamba route which saves time.

Mozambique has many lighthouses, which one are you referring to?

South Pacific
Level Contributor
441 posts
126 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety

I was wondering the same question about the safety situation. A lot of the stories regarding crime etc I have read all seem to be from two or more years ago, so I was wondering if there has been a cut down in crime/corruption lately. I am hoping to visit for some diving next September.

Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
2 023 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety

There is lots of petty crime, like if you leave money in your hotel room. Or if you walk around at night on your own.

There is a good safety tips page on MozambicanHotels.

http://www.mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/travel-safe-in-mozambique

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety

Thank you

Vilanculos...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
5. Re: Safety

Criminality does not have a sell by date. The crime will escalate day by day as it seems a lot of the violent crime is comited by the law themselves. A sad situation and so far irreversable

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inhambane
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.