We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Hi

I know there have been various posts and answered queries about this before.... but bear with me!

1. I'd love to hear from anyone with recent experience of trekking in Langtang as to whether TIMS permits were required/inspected. Skimming through posts here and, er, other forums it seems that practice has been variable over the last 4 years.

2. If it turns out to be necessary to get a TIMS permit, can we get them at Dunche?

3. Beyond what may or may not be required officially, how about the safety aspect of having a TIMS permit? If, heaven forefend, there is another earthquake, are we more likely to be searched for if we've registered with TIMS? We (family of 3) are trekking independently, hiring a porter via an agency.

I'm excited to be heading for this trek... and am also a world-class worrier! Thanks for any light you can shed on this bit of detail.

24 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
16 helpful votes
11. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Jansong,

When are you heading in? We are doing the same and getting jeep in on Nov 16 so depending who goes first either we can help you or you can help us. Information is all very vague so would be good to know one way or the other before drive over

Nick

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
12. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Hi Nick, we're going on Nov 3rd, so hopefully I can advise you before you set off!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18 755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
13. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

This video, from trek in 2018 states that TIMS is not required but a national park ticket is (as has been the case for many years). There is no mention of a local area permit. See from about 4 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UspMAgPMo_Q&list=PLjgQhPTiS8kWxkuTErFyHkVfRHPZ10eUV&index=2&t=0s

Maybe TMWSAM will post.

scoodly

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18 755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
14. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

From an agency website:

"Langtang Regional Area Permit

It cost USD 20 (NRs 2000) per person.

Langtang National Park Entry Permit

The Langtang Trek takes you to Langtang National Park. you need this permit before you enter the Langtang valley.

It cost USD 30 (NRs 3000) per person excluding 13% VAT."

https://oshovisiontreks.com/langtang-trek-cost/

No mention of TIMS and it seems implausible that they have made up both the name and cost of the first piece of paper. Still, experiential reports are welcome.

scoodly

Tours, France
Level Contributor
212 posts
15. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Last year I only had to pay the NP ticket. 3000 iirc.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18 755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
16. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Thanks Timalaya, that's clear.

scoodly

Menen, Belgium
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
17. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Me and a friend will leave Kathmandu on 31th of october and will hike Langtang 1-6nov. On 7th nov.back to Kathmandu.

So following this post. I sened an email to the Office of Tourism in Kathmandu. if i know something, i ll post it here.

Edited: 1 year ago
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
15 reviews
12 helpful votes
18. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Recently back from excellent Langtang trek. Decided not to get TIMS passes (although took enough cash to cover buying them en route/additional fine in case that happened). We didn't get asked for TIMS anywhere. However! We did meet other trekkers who had been asked at Syabrubesi. Whether a note was made of their permit numbers just because they presented them wasn't clear. I will add that we didn't approach Syabrubesi via Dhunche, our private jeep driver had heard there was a problem on the main road and took as an obscure off-piste route that, to my eye, didn't involve any actual roads at all! We bought national park permits at a small army post. We also left the main town of Syabrubesi in the late afternoon (chose to stay in Old Syabrubesi over the river) - the trekkers who had reported having their permits checked had left in the morning, when there is a mass exodus of trekkers. So - in summary - you might not need TIMS, but if you want to be absolutely sure, probably best to get one! I also rang the official Tourism Board, who said it was definitely required.

Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
19. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Hello There,

Well, you do not have to worry about the langtang trek. At the moment the weather and the situation of the Langtang is good. I am pretty sure you won't get another earthquake. And the TIMS and Permit are necessary to langtang. You have both option that you want to take your TIMS card in ktm or in Dhunche but permit you only get in Dhunche. As you are having a porter guide then you can inform him to make ready the necessary thing for the trek.

I wish you the best trek and have joyful days in Langtang.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18 755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
20. Re: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Save

Thanks for the feedback Jansong, it's very useful. That the picture is mixed - you not being asked for TIMS but others being asked at Syabrubesi - is not too surprising in Nepal.

I think it's worth people intending to trek in Langtang noting that TIMS cards might be needed.

scoodly

Reply to: Current TIMS permit situation for Langtang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
South Africa
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.