We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

Planning a trip to Blue Ridge in mid October 2018. Cabin is in Morganton and we want to drive over to Helen for a day. Are their any wineries between the two areas that you would recommend? Any other recommendations in Helen? Adult group. We plan to do the fall foliage train one day and also visit the orchard. We are not big hikers but I would be interested in a waterfall that's fairly easy to get to or any great overlook areas. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 057 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

I would skip Helen completely. A bad tourist trap anytime but October will be horrible traffic and crowds. Just east of Helen are some great choices and if you want to drive further east there are many more.

I would definitely go to Fainting Goats in Jasper. Yonah Mountain east of Helen. Visit the lovely Sautee Nachoochee valley and stop at the Old Sautee store. Also make a stop at the Mark of the Potter store and pottery in an old grist mill with giant trout hanging out in the river below the porch.

visitgeorgiawineries.com/item/…

If you want to go as far as Rabun County there are three wonderful wineries there and then you could drive back west on 76.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

Thank you so much. Excellent suggestions. I visited Helen as a child and have always wanted to go back, but I am not interested in a tourist trap for sure. Love your suggestions. The stores and mill sound great. Thank you.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 057 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

If you want to go back to see it again, go on a weekday. ALL of the north Georgia mountains have gorgeous places, but on an October weekend in Helen you will be sitting in traffic and then dealing with crowds. The rest of the mountains are glorious. Helen is Gatlinburg Jr. (not a good thing).

You'll love the Mark of the Potter and the drive. You could do a nice loop, stopping at waterfalls and wineries. Go all the way to Clayton GA if you want a long day trip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

www.explorerabun.com

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

Thank you so much. Would you think we would enjoy Dalonagua better? I think Clayton is too far for us. Blue Ridge, Dalonagua, Elijah, blairsville?? If We do go to Helen, we will do weekday for suee, train ride too.thank u.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 057 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

Dahlonega is lovely and there are wineries nearby.

Consider a loop from Morganton to Amicolola Falls to Dahlonega to Old Sautee Store to Mark of the Potter to Stonewall Creek Vineyards and then loop back to Morganton.

That loop is under 4 hours and there's so much to see along the way. A great day trip.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

That sounds perfect. Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19 057 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen

That will take you to some of the prettiest spots in north GA. There are ways to add to the stops and the interactive winery map linked earlier shows the wineries along the way.

Reply to: Winery between Blue Ridge and Helen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blue Ridge