We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

Magness, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

We have a condo booked for the Sunbird Condos for December 22-27. I know it’s a long way off, but I have to make my final payment 2 weeks from today. I have talked to the lady we booked with some. She assures me the condo and beaches are fine. However, from everything I am seeing on the news, the Condos are not ok. I called the condo complex today and messages were stating they could not even get in the building. So I’m not sure what’s going on or what to do. From my understanding, I will not be able to cancel and get my deposit back. But I also don’t want to show up and be in the way of clean up, construction, etc. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with something like this. Please help.

8 replies to this topic
North Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
366 posts
438 reviews
111 helpful votes
1. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

NOAA imagery here shows the Sunbird Suites

https:/…-85.80449

Hiram
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

Based on my connection with one of the condo owners, there is no way that I would plan on staying at Sunbird anytime soon. My friend's condo was one of those that received extensive damage. She had to return the deposits to people that have currently booked, along with those that have booked for the winter months. This is not a situation that will be resolved quickly, so I would be very reserved about sending anymore money. I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it is much worse than you are being told. I have seen lots of pictures.

Magness, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

These were my initial thoughts. I asked the woman we booked with if I could get a refund. From my understanding, she has to be the one to do it. She completely ignored my question and didn’t answer it. She said we would be fine. In this situation, how would I go about getting a refund? Thank you in advance. This is the first time I’ve ever had to deal with something like this.

Panama City Beach...
1 post
4. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

Both the Sunbird buildings have damage but the building on the east side is the worst.

About half the roof is missing. We live across the street at Laketown Wharf and there has been no activity over at Sunbird since last Saturday. No one is allowed on the property.

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1 304 posts
60 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

I can't imagine that complex will be ready for occupation by Dec. if it is damaged as bad as they say.

Hiram
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

I have no idea how you will get your money back. Some owners are relying on rental money to make their mortgage payments. This situation is going to leave many without the income they are accustomed to for possibly a very long time.

The complex is waiting on the inspectors to come in and assess the damage. These inspectors could find some serious underlying structural damage and possibly put a stop to anyone coming on the property.

Right now, the Sunbird owners are in limbo.

Not sure if you are renting in the East bldg or the West bldg, but the outer parts of these two buildings received some major damage along with roof damage.

Not sure how you paid your deposits, but if by credit card, then I would contact my cc company to see if they can assist you.

Best of luck! No way would I plan to stay at the Sunbird at this time, since you have no idea what the future holds.

heb
1 post
7. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

Does anyone know the current status of Sunbird? We are booked for May, but I would like to know if it will be fully functional by then.

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?

i tried to book with an owner yesterday, and was told there is still lots of damage to the property. No pool access or beach access. You will have to go to the public access area to go to the beach. It may be cleared up by May,but we chose to go somewhere else. Sunbird was hit harder than other properties.

Reply to: Sunbird Condos - ok or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach