We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA check in message

K30
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
900 posts
18 reviews
BA check in message

Good morning,

So just checked in online but am I’m in a state of near panic as the following has popped up for my entire family:

Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this has popped up in screen? Booked direct with BA. Is this a standard message? API is done, ESTAs are in date from last year etc. Many thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14 912 posts
132 reviews
11. Re: BA check in message

DS was the one “selected” at Manchester a few years ago..

DD was the one one selected this time at Gatwick. DW was asked to stay with her & they checked her carry on & swabbed it before letting them board.

Obviously all was ok & having been through it at Manchester, we weren’t worried in the slightest 👍🏻👍🏻

It was more frustration as I could pre book some, but not all of our party, so negated pre booking as we’d still to wait with chosen child.

Interesting that on both occasions it’s the children that were selected 😉😉

london
Level Contributor
711 posts
9 reviews
12. Re: BA check in message

does the computer know its selecting a child? If it does maybe they select kids as some unscrupulous people might get a child to take things though thinking they are less likely to stop a child. Of course they can and do check anyone but hopefully if they are checking a child they do it in a way not to worry them or get them stressed.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20 309 posts
48 reviews
13. Re: BA check in message

The message the OP has received is nothing - as I said we had this message on outward and return

when checking in on line in February

There were no checks at the counter - nothing - it’s just a pop up message to alert you that your documents could be checked

There’s enough to think about at the airport without worrying about nothing

Edited: 21 October 2018, 16:06
glasgow
Level Contributor
873 posts
14. Re: BA check in message

My son was flagged for extra security flying to MCO aged 13. Extra checks at Glasgow then again in Dublin x2. All staff were professional and polite and although they were not overly friendly they put him at ease and did the job required of them without causing any upset or distress.

1 thing I would say is I was asked to confirm his esta application number in Glasgow before they would issue a boarding card or take his luggage which luckily I had printed out and I think this made things a bit easier. The staff at the check in counter still had to make a phone call to someone before a boarding pass could be issued.

Speaking to staff in the airport it was suggested that someone with a similar name had been refused esta and computer then flags people travelling around the same time with similar names.

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
1 674 posts
54 reviews
15. Re: BA check in message

Hi ;-) you will know you are getting screened by your boarding pass as it will have SSSS printed on the bottom right corner,, it is secondary screening where you will be searched, your hand luggage will be swabbed and you may be asked a few questions before boarding it is a worry when you get this treatment but actually nothing to worry about as there are loads of people getting it also.

Cheers ;-) Wullie

K30
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
900 posts
18 reviews
16. Re: BA check in message

Hi all, you were indeed right, it was nothing. We just couldn’t use the automated check in machines at Gatwick so got the pleasant experience of an actual human doing it for us!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14 912 posts
132 reviews
17. Re: BA check in message

Sometimes we tend to overthink these things🤔🤔

Glad all went well😁😁

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50 084 posts
22 reviews
18. Re: BA check in message

I had an interesting check in for my flight over a week ago.

They said I couldnt get my boarding pass and they were waiting for authorisation from the USA for me to travel (ie ESTA). Only thing is, I dont need an ESTA as I am american?

Guy at the desk who checked me in said hed not seen that one before.

Reply to: BA check in message
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted