We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA check in message

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
899 posts
18 reviews
BA check in message

Good morning,

So just checked in online but am I’m in a state of near panic as the following has popped up for my entire family:

Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this has popped up in screen? Booked direct with BA. Is this a standard message? API is done, ESTAs are in date from last year etc. Many thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14 868 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: BA check in message

That's nothing to worry about..

Probably means you've been "selected" for a secondary screening process..

It has happened to us 2 out of our last 3 trips😉

Great Britain
13 posts
2. Re: BA check in message

Just back last week , flew with BA and this happened to one of the members of our party when we checked in . Could print out 3 of the 4 boarding passes but got a message on the 4th . Like you I started to panic but it was straightforward, I think they are obliged to pick passengers at random . We had to go to the check in desk and get our boarding passes and when we got to the gate my daughter was pulled aside and given a quick search , as were other random passengers .

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
899 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: BA check in message

Cheers Mike. It’s going to be a loooong 24 hours!

Edit - awesome thanks for the above. We’ve been checked in but all for of us got the same message.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 11:54
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14 868 posts
132 reviews
4. Re: BA check in message

Just a point..

On last trip, DD (14) was selected for extra screening..

DW was told to stay with her & myself & DS (14) told to board..

I had the boarding cards & told them they were just behind us, being checked.

When DW & DD got to the aircraft, a stewardess refused to let them board as "you don't have any boarding cards"..

So they cleared the check in gate, were taken to one side on the boarding "bridge" by security, then not allowed to board, even though they knew the seat numbers & had cleared passport checks🙄🙄

We were only a few of rows from the door so could see them, but she refused to even look as DW pointed us out..

Another stewardess overheard so took charge & checked them to their seats😊😊

I'm all for security, but that was jobsworth A1 🤣🤣

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
899 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: BA check in message

Ah good to know, thanks. Just thought it was odd that all 4 had the message. But I have no basis for comparison as this has not happened to me when travelling before!

london
Level Contributor
710 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: BA check in message

We had this with Virgin a few flight ago. They all do it, my husband was selected for secondary screening. Its purely done at random by a computer, does not mean they think there is a problem with you.

On the plus side ever since that happened we have been given pre check through security which means no taking off shoes, no taking electrical out of hand luggage and much shorter queues. It may be just coincidence but we never asked for this and it only started after the security check so maybe you will get that next time you fly. Its certainly a great help.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
14 868 posts
132 reviews
7. Re: BA check in message

They're just lulling you into a false sense of security marilynandmick😉😉

As they monitor these boards, I'd suggest you prepare for the "marigolds" next trip🤣🤣

london
Level Contributor
710 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: BA check in message

Mike, you mean I have to do the washing up on the plane? Seriously i have no idea why we are being treated to pre check but we have flown four times since the extra security check and every time we have had pre check. Perhaps its to with age, in any case you only get it on the return ( there is no pre check at Heathrow or Gatwick) and then only if the airport has a separate line as some ( such as New Orleans) do not.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
20 288 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: BA check in message

Nothing at all to worry about

We had this message last time - no one even asked to see anything other than the usual passport at the check in desk- although I took everything but the kitchen sink in triplicate 🙄

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
4 083 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: BA check in message

They are required to do pre screening of all passengers prior to check in. These are the few q’s Asked in the line and you get your little sticker on back of passport.

Secondary random is later. Don’t leave your under 18s behind as they get stressed if you’re on plane and they get stopped.

Reply to: BA check in message
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted