We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.

Malaybalay City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10 helpful votes
Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

Hi fellow travelers and cyclists.

Im a male, solo traveller and looking forward my upcoming Capetown trip.

Im planning rent a bike and cycle from Simonstown to Cape hope, maybe once a week. Im pretty strong cyclist so im not worried about my strength. My safety is my main concern. How is the traffic on that road? What about is there any chance to get robbed or even worse?

Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 336 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

Low traffic. Tourist coaches are the biggest vehicles. Practically no other trucks. Personal safety is very good.

Check pricing; I think they charge extra for cyclists in the national park . . . . .

Edited: 5 years ago
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3 515 posts
72 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

Cycling will be quite good, low traffic indeed and mostly coaches on tours and private vehicles. Safety will be all good and it is quite a busy road in the sense that you have not loads of traffic but, there is traffic. Also, the road down to The Cape of Good Hope does not have any shoulders, so the road is quite narrow, so keep left and you will be good. Enjoy the scenes and take in the fresh open air.

All the best!

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours & Safaris

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1 194 posts
94 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

That is a fantastic ride, I'm sure you will enjoy it. As Gerald says, be aware that to get to the tip of the peninsula you have to enter the Cape of Good Hope section of the Table Mountain National Park, for which there will be an entry fee of about 150 SA Rands (the Table Mountain National Park contains many unconnected bits in and around Cape Town, such as Boulders Beach near Simon's Town, Cape Point and Silvermine). But the ride in the national park will be very enjoyable. In fact, there are many side roads in the park that will take you to remote beaches and cliff tops. You can cycle everywhere in the park and you may even see some wildlife ...

If you're up to it, when you exit the park you can turn left and ride back up the west coast of the peninsula, via Scarborough, Kommetjie and Fish Hoek. The views are superlative. Check the map carefully though - distances are deceptively big.

Malaybalay City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

Wow,im sure that will be ride of my life. Thank you all for your fast and uplifting replies. 😎

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 336 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

I havn't studied this fully:

https://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php#permits

. . . . it may impact your bike rides in the national park (The My Activity Permit)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

Did u went with bike

1 post
7. Re: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Save

did you go? where did you rent the bikes? how long did it take you?

Reply to: Cycling from Simonstown to Cape hope.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Simon's Town
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.