We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Hi,

I am deciding between 10 days at Kho Lak (Ramada or Marriott)or 10 days at Nong Thale ( Dusit Thani Krabi).

If any one has been to both places, do you think 10 days in either of these places are too much? We really want a resort holiday where we can spend most of the time relaxing by the beach and be able to go into town for dinner and some market shopping.We also like to be on the beach and to be able to get massages and not have to pay spa prices at the hotel.

Also, any suggestions for accommodation in Khoa Lak would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Nong Thale
Nong Thale
Krabi Town, Thailand
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach...
1 611 Reviews
Nong Thale, Thailand
7 replies to this topic
aust
Level Contributor
185 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

We have been to both, for me 4 days was enough in Krabi. I have just spent 7 days in Khao Lak and would have happily spent 10 days there just relaxing, though I would recommend you hire a car as it made Khao Lak so much easier and when we did want a nice dinner or some shopping we could just drive to Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
aust
Level Contributor
185 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Forgot to add- we stayed at The Sands in KL, to avoid the hotel spa prices I just went to their sister hotel next door which had 1hr massages for 500b. Though if you stay at the Marriott treat yourself and have one there as they are really worth the money, I'm staying at a Hua Hin Marriott now and the massages at the hotel spa are divine- really can't compare to the cheap hotels and cheap massage places

New York, NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

I stayed at the Nong Thale property, and it is a wonderfully relaxing, expansive place. I think because the grounds feel spread out, it is very easy not to feel constrained there. We were there 5 days and I don't think I ever lounged around in the same location twice! I have a child and so we spent a lot of time at the pools. We also hired a boat directly from the beach to go to outerlying islands, and another day went into AoNang to catch a boat to Railey beach for the day.

However, the real downside is that there isn't much of a town close by. There are shops outside the hotel, including one on the right just a bit past the shopping plaza, that is REALLY well provisioned with almost anything you would need. And I don't know what is in Nong Thale town itself. But otherwise you are stuck with about a 30 minute ride into Krabi town or Ao Nang (an awful tourist trap of a place). Not the worst option, but may feel too isolated for 10 days.

Mentioned in this post
Nong Thale
Nong Thale
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Done both (sheraton) now Dusit and Marriott Khao Lak ... Krabi is more scenic, sea is more clear .. Khao Lak stll recovering after tsunami more food options in Sheraton both places cheap ... Khao Lak better connection to Similian Islands

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Hat Yai, Thailand
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

10 days in khao lak is wayyyy too much, allnyour tours will be 2 hrs drive to phuket first.

Krabi is great as it will take 10 days just to try and get all your bucket list done.....

Boat ride to any famous place is all from ao nang

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4 729 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Mikey, you are wrong about the tours. What about tours to the Surin or Similian islands or the wonderful Khao Sok National Park? - no need to go to Phuket for those, it is in the other direction!

I find 2 weeks in Khao Lak to be not enough. It really depends on what type of traveller you are.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2 192 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi vs Khoa Lak

Me and my husband have been in both places. 6 day khao lak and 7 krabi. And we think next time to visit only Khaolak. The beaches were excellent there , really clean and not so crowdy. Food was also much better. We were at Moracea by Khao Lah. ITS a great place with almost private beach

Reply to: Krabi vs Khoa Lak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nong Thale