We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai baht

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Thai baht

Can anyone tell me what the thai baht is trading at in thailand at the moment.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 829 posts
1 review
11. Re: Thai baht

Arandora I was under the impression (and so is the money saving expert) that the Halifax clarity (and all other credit cards) started charging interest from the date of the withdrawal this is not the case with the BarclayCard. So you have a bit more time to pay it off and don't need to use internet banking to pay it off immediately if timed right you could have almost a month to pay it off.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45 458 posts
107 reviews
12. Re: Thai baht

That is correct for Halifax and Nationwide. I've not seen Barclaycard T&Cs and am somewhat surprised by the extension as I have one of those cards and had not beenj notified about it. So I'm about to contact them to see whether the offer only applies to new not existing cardholders.

My point about Halifax and Nationwide though is that unless they have changed their T&Cs although they charge interest on cash from date of withdrawal and such interest is usually minimal even if you wait until the settlement date, if there is an existing balance or new withdrawals or purchases charged within the settlement period you have to pay the full balance off by the settlement date otherwise the interest is carried over and continues to be charged daily. That's why it is to be careful when using these cards for cash and purchases. I only use for either and clear the full balance by the settlement dater.

I will post later after I've spoken to Barclaycard.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 750 posts
156 reviews
13. Re: Thai baht

Yes thanks for the Barclaycard info. I may get one of those as my current Debit card with no fees is ending soon.

Re: Halifax Clarity I thought it charged interest from date of cash withdrawal?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45 458 posts
107 reviews
14. Re: Thai baht

Re Halifax. That's what I have posted in my previous replies.

Barclaycard have confirmed that their Platinum Travel Card is a different one to just a Platinum card which is what I have so I would have to apply for a new one if I wanted to take advantage of this facility. They confirmed that a cash withdrawal abroad will be treated as a purchase and no fees or commission charged and no interest charged on cash until after the settlement date. So if you clear on or by the settlement date it is interest free which is fundamentally different to any other credit card used for cash withdrawals including the Halifax Clarity and Nationwide Flex Plus credit cards. As I already have two Barclaycards I would have to drop one if I applied for the Platinum Travel Card. It's probably not worth it to me as I transfer money from £ to THB for our 4 month stay to my Thai Bank Account at best rates from an Exchange Service then withdraw from that account by ATM as and when with no charge for local withdrawals. I only use my Clarity or Nationwide card at the end if I run out of cash and settle the amount immediately it appears on my statement by on-line banking with little if any interest.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 750 posts
156 reviews
15. Re: Thai baht

Yes that's what I thought, I have not used my Halifax for cash for a few years now but my N&P Debit is finishing soon so I need a replacement, online banking is not always possible when traveling. So the Barclaycard Premium Travel sounds ideal.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2 829 posts
1 review
16. Re: Thai baht

Arandora Re the interest that was the point I was trying to make but you explain it much more eloquently than I do 555. I thought it must be a new card as the Halifax Clarity has always been the MSE top recommendation but the BarclyCard has just taken over the top spot. I am just posting as FYI for other people as I personally can't get a credit card.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45 458 posts
107 reviews
17. Re: Thai baht

Barclaycard supplied me without me requesting one a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards Card on the back of my Platinum Card so since I don't use it I will cancel it and apply for the Travel Card instead. Every little bit helps! ;-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45 458 posts
107 reviews
18. Re: Thai baht

As a follow up to the above, when I contacted Barclaycard to cancel one of my cards, so that I could then apply for a new Travel Card I was told I would have to wait 6 months which is no use for our forthcoming trip November to March. However, I was rescued as my wife has a back up Platinum card so she can apply for a Travel Card in her name and on receipt of that apply for one for me in my name.

Just in case someone else finds themselves in the same position.

19. Re: Thai baht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Nong Thale