We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simple Upsala Glacier boat

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Apparently, all Upsala Glacier boats are like a full day trip. Is there any company that offers a simple boat ride for just a few hours, not longer that half a day?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
4 559 posts
148 reviews
132 helpful votes
1. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Hello. The shortest boat trip that I can find through Patagonia Chic is 8 hours long. It takes pretty long for the ride from El Calafate to the port, so that makes these glacier trips longer than just a half day.

https://www.patagoniachic.com/el-calafate/excursiones/ice-rivers-express_40.html

Edited: 2 years ago
California
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Thanks @CaliforniaElizabeth

You are right. The ride from El Calafate is about an hour. I'm trying to see if I can purchase a ticket for a Glacier boat from Puerto Punto Bandera. There must be a way to purchase this ticket directly from the Punto Bandera. People who rent a car don't need to go back to El Calafate after the tour and can go to Perito Moreno, for instance.

Thanks,

California
Level Contributor
4 559 posts
148 reviews
132 helpful votes
3. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Hi again. If you have a rental car, you just need to be at Punta Bandera by 08:30 for the Upsala boat trip.You can just buy the boat trip from Patagonia Chic and not pay the extra $20 U.S. for the transportation between your El Calafate hotel and Punta Bandera. I don't know about buying tickets for the boat trip at Punta Bandera.

https://www.patagoniachic.com/el-calafate/excursiones/ice-rivers-express_40.html

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Thanks for the hints @CaliforniaElizabeth

Looking at the map, it totally make sense to have a day tour from El Calafate for a Glacier boat on Lago Argentina and then a tour to Perito Moreno Glacier and at the end come back to El Calafate, especially on high seasons with really long days down there. But no company sells such a tour! Apparently these companies do their best to capitalize on these attractions and sell a day tour on each one separately.

California
Level Contributor
4 559 posts
148 reviews
132 helpful votes
5. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

About 3 years ago, there was a boat tour that visited the Upsala, Spegazzini and Perito Moreno glaciers. Then, some sort of ice dam formed that wouldn't allow passage to the Perito Moreno glacier. I think last year they started this All Glaciers tour again, but I don't see it now. Maybe the same thing happened again?

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Maybe. But what I mean is a tour like this:

El Calafate to Punto Bander by bus , take a boat to Glaciers , Come back to Punto Bander, take a bus to Perito Moreno and have a tour, and finally go back to El Calafate with bus. It easily saves up around two hours of bus riding and fits in a day, but no agency offers this.

California
Level Contributor
4 559 posts
148 reviews
132 helpful votes
7. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

Hi again. In the 6 years that I've been on Tripadvisor, I have never read about a shuttle bus between Punta Banderas and the Perito Moreno glacier boardwalks. Like I said, there used to be a tour that covered all 3 glaciers as recently as last year. Will you be renting a car? If you drive to Punta Banderas and return there after your Upsala/ Spegazzini boat trip, you can then drive to the Perito Moreno glacier boardwalks yourself for great views of the glacier. You will get a much better view of the massive and gorgeous glacier from the boardwalks than by boat. Since many day trips to the Perito Moreno glacier start in the morning, getting to the Perito Moreno glacier boardwalks after your Upsala/Spegazzini boat trip would probably expose you to fewer crowds on the boardwalks.

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat
Save

I try to not rent a car and see if I can use Taxi to visit both places in a day.

Thanks

9. Re: Simple Upsala Glacier boat

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2020, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.