We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I will be in El Calafate for Christmas and New Year this year. I'm looking for some recommendations/answers:

- Where to eat on Christmas Day (dinner)

- Places to go for NYE

- Are there fireworks on NYE?

- Is there anything open on NYD?

Thanks in advance! Super excited for this trip :-D

7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Also planning to be there at Christmas Day and very interested if someone has recommendations for a place for dinner.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 322 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

We were in El Calafate over New Year's last year. For Dec. 31, we took the Perito Moreno Glacier Mini Trek. We booked the NYE dinner at Isabel and it was a terrible waste of money. Look around town and don't spend extra for a "set menu" for this night. Plenty of places to go, but we had paid in advance and didn't know this. We stayed at the Esplendor Hotel walkable up the hill from town and watched people set off fireworks from our room. We were tired and not in party mode, especially with early plans on New Year's Day.

On New Year's Day we took the Estancia Cristina Discovery tour with the 4x4 excursion. We opted to include lunch and were happy we did -- delicious. This is a very long day if you do it. I seem to recall about 13 hours including the bus to the boat launch, the 2-hour beautiful boat ride, the day on the estancia (not a working estancia BTW, a historic site and tour), the4x4 ride and hike to see the glaciers and then the return boat ride and bus back to hotel. It was wonderful and we've recommended to others. But you need to know what you are getting into in terms of travel time and bring a book/cards for the boat ride.

Our best dinner was at Mako, amazing soup, steaks, dessert. You definitely need a reservation.

Edited: 13 October 2018, 02:28
Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Thank you for the information!

We've booked the Mini-trekking on Perito Moreno for Christmas Day, and I've started checking out some restaurants for Christmas dinner - I've heard El Calafate is super busy at Christmas time.

Thanks again!

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

I saw someone's post on Trip Advisor in another thread suggesting La Zaina restaurant - I'm looking at that one too :-) I'm just not sure if we should book beforehand or just...wander around on the day. It's hard to judge

Historic Corydon...
Level Contributor
1 790 posts
165 reviews
5. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

We will be in El Calafate on Christmas Day, driving back from El Chalten. I have looked at La Zaina which gets excellent reviews. You have to put a 50% deposit for Christmas Day reservations.

La Tablita was another that looked good and gets good reviews.

Myself, I'm going to make reservations. We will probably be tired and I don't want to wander around looking for a place to eat on Christmas.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Following this topic since I will be in the area for new years ! Also, if anyone needs a hiking buddy for day hikes etc, I may be interested. 35/m/travelling solo. Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018

Also planning on being there for Christmas Day. We rented a car so driving is not a problem; Did you find a good restaurant yet? we are 2 vegetarians out of the 3 people.

Thanks

Irit Los Angeles

Reply to: El Calafate Christmas and New Year 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted