We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in El Calafate

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Car hire in El Calafate

Hi . Im spending 3 days in El Calafate then driving into Chile to Torres del Paine for another 3 days . Can anyone recommend a good car hire company . I’ve been reading terrible reviews on all the car rental companies . How are the roads into Chile . And is it worth hiring a car whilst I’m in El Calafate ?

All help gratefully accepted!

6 replies to this topic
Ein Vered, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

I rented a car from Sixt and spent 3 days in El Calafate and 4 days in TdP. The advantage of renting a car from Sixt is that there is no limit on how many km you drive. The other companies I've checked have a 200 km per day limit, which is certainly not enough for these distances.

The roads to Chile are good, however the roads inside TdP are dirt roads. I strongly suggest to take the tires and glasses additional insurance.

Please be advised that when I visited the park 4 weeks ago, the road to Puerto Natales (the southern entrance to the park) was closed due to maintenance works.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

Thanks for your info . Very useful .

Catania, Italy
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

Hello!

By your opinion, is it possible to visit Torres del Paine National Park in one day, depart from El Calafate very early in the morning and return the same day? We are trying to find a local with a car o simply renting a car. Thanks!

Ein Vered, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

It is possible, but you'll spend most of the day travelling the boring road to and from the park, and very little inside the park. Sometimes crossing the Chilean border can also take considerable time. I would not recommend it.

Catania, Italy
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

Thanks a lot!😊

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Car hire in El Calafate

Only use Renta car Dubrovnik as a last resort. The cars are old and damaged, we pick ours up at night and discovered the next day the sun visor was missing. We were charged for this as they insisted we must have broken it and thrown it away! Would not use them again.

Reply to: Car hire in El Calafate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted