We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

That is a headline I have seen from time to time. Does anyone know if it is a reality? I have been to all the continents, and the only way I'll get to the 7th is by a plane ( I get horribly motion sick and Drake's passage just isn't going to happen ). Nor is a $4,000 flight (my understanding of the price of existing service). Any insights appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

Just seen it in this issue of lonely planet I have also seen this from time to time being talked about but never happens checked Lade.com.ar for info nothing yet that I could see. Its my last and final continent and would consider a cruise but would rather fly and stay a few days and fly back. I've heard of resupply flights for $1000 rt but you only get to stay the day less than 4hr on Antarctica. Any updates please notify and post be safe and happy travels.

Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

Thank you. Will post if I hear more. Also looking into flights from Cape Town. I don’t especially want to stay long - don’t really like cold weather.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
3. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

Hey upnorthliving, any information on those resupply flights and what one needs to do to get on one of these?

Also, any update from LADE? They're supposed to fly the route already based on what they reported couple of years ago

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17 187 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

If you really can't bare to visit via a ship - try http://www.white-desert.com fly in fly out.

But take into account - more than 50% of passengers on all polar ships (including the expedition and crew members) all suffer motion sickness and all deal with it via various remedies. It doesn't stop them achieving their goals.

Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

Is this the one that costs $80,000? The private just part makes me think so (the contact us link was broken). There is seasick and there is seasick. Mine continued for a week after my first 'cruise' not to mention ruining my vacation. There are other companies that offer approximately $4000 upgrade to fly and I may do that yet after I'm 65 and not having to pay $1000 per month for health insurance:-).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17 187 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

The contact link goes straight to an online contact form that seems to be working just fine http://www.white-desert.com/contact/

Prices and dates are on the website too. http://www.white-desert.com/dates-2018/

I have several friends who have done the flights down from Cape Town.

You can always do a fly-cruise-fly which starts and ends with flights into and out out KGI and joins a ship at that point in the calmer seas around the peninsula and avoids the Drake.

Do feel free to join us on the Antarctica forum if you want further advice from polar travellers (including the ones who achieve their voyages despite seasickness).

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-…

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
6 101 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?

In answer to the original question: LADE has not started flying to Antartica, after all.

They needed a new airplane and did not receive the necessary funding from the State to buy or lease another aircraft.

Reply to: LADE airline to fly to antarctica starting Jan 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Calafate