We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

Radlett, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice.This may have been covered before.

We are travelling from Franschhoek to Oudtshoorn,spending 1 night in a lodge, before travelling on to Plett the folliwing day. Would we have time to stop off for lunch on the way to Oudtshoorn and still have time to visit the Caves or Ostrich farm on 1st day or would it be better to leave our visits for the second day before travelling on to Plett. Would this be a rush or could it be done fairly leisurely with time maybe to look around the town and then to stop off somewhere for lunch on our way to Plett?

Thank you in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Greater...
Level Contributor
3 918 posts
1 review
1. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

Be aware, tours of the Cango caves must be booked in advance, because numbers are restricted.

Tours are 60 minutes, "adventure" tours are 90 minutes.

https://www.cango-caves.co.za/

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 438 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

With our style of travelling, we can easily fit lunch and some sightseeing into that day. But we generally check out no later than 08:30 and spend no more than 45 minutes on lunch . . . . . . .

You can do your own calcs; your driving time between Franschhoek and Oudtshoorn will be about 4.5 hours.

(Oudtshoorn to Plett driving time: 2.5 hours)

Ostrich tours start every 20 minutes, daily from 08H00 till 16H30 and take 45 minutes at https://www.cangoostrich.co.za/

Europe
Level Contributor
2 722 posts
28 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

Visit an ostrich farm on the aftertoon of your first day. You can actually have lunch on the farm which I recommend.

Then next morning you can visit the caves which are some way out in the opposite direction to Plett.

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
285 posts
19 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

I fully agree with Jean P.

Based on the direction you will be entering Oudtshoorn, I would suggest visiting Safari Ostrich Farm. You can call ahead and make a reservation for one of the afternoon tours. Coming from Franschhoek, I might suggest stopping in Barrydale for lunch. There are a number of little restaurants, but Diesel and Creme is a favorite of many people, and it sits right on the main road.

On day 2 you could start your day with a visit to the Cango Caves, before heading to Plettenberg Bay

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
757 posts
52 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

We visited Congo caves after checking out from our farm and had no difficulty finding tickets in June... though if you are sure of your date .. always better to book in advance..

You can easily finish both the activity in one day if you start a bit early.

Radlett, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
6. Re: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?

Thank you all for your great advice. I was worried that our time in Oudtshoorn would be too much of a rush but it looks like it will work out well and we'll enjoy our visit!

Reply to: 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Enough time for attractions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oudtshoorn
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.