We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

India
Level Contributor
111 posts
Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

Hi,

We shall be participating in a White Shark Cage Tour at Gansbaai in the third week of April, and post that want to drive to Oudtshoorn by self drive car. Wanted to know the following :-

1) How are the roads & how much time will it take if I go directly ?Any suggestions esp regarding safety?

2) Is it possible to go via Cape Agulhas and reach Oudtshoorn before its too late with respect to safety point of view ?

Thx,

6 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I's also be interested in any recommended attractions along the way?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 911 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

This is the "standard" route from Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn https://goo.gl/maps/cpvJoKRoje3L2Yk49 There is nothing to worry about as far as the road conditions are concerned.

It is worth taking some time to stop in Swellendam iand visit the drotsdy museum https://www.drostdy.com/

After Swellendam the route takes you north through Tradouw Pass. There are several view points on the road.

Just at the northern poort for Tradouw Pass is the small town of Barrydale. It is a popular spot to stop and get something to eat

After Barrydale you will be driving through the Klein Karoo on the R62.

Between Zoar and Calitzdorp you will go over the stunning Huisrivier Pass. Again, there are several viewpoints where you can pull over to take in the scenery.

It is a straightforward drive that should take you 5 or 6 hours to do, including comfort breaks, getting a bite to eat and taking in the views.

If you wanted to include Agulhas then you would need to add about an hour to your drive time and this would be route to take https://goo.gl/maps/ajYHkEcKtfDAD7vb6

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 575 posts
60 reviews
73 helpful votes
3. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

Google Maps thinks it's an hour and fifteen minutes from Gansbaai to Agulhas.

From there to Oudtshoorn - Just under 4 hours.

Plenty of things to see along the way so keep an eye on sunset.. I'd like you to be at Oudtshoorn by dusk.

India
Level Contributor
111 posts
4. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

Hi ldfldf,

I actually did this road trip last year - along with Cape Agulahas. Roads were pretty good and I followed Google map, except at one point - where Google Map was taking me on a Dirt Road ( Just Before Cape Agulahas). I took sm time and saw that there is a detour available with a proper route, approx 5 KM extra. I took that and it was all good.

Other than that there was no issues. I started around 1100 hrs from Gansbaai - post our Shark Cage activity and reached Oudtshoorn by 7ish. We spent 1 hour at Cape Agulahas as well as one more break in between for the meals.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

Thank you!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
64 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip

MTChandler,

Thanks for the Drostdy Museum tip. We're doing this same route in August but with an overnight in Swellendam so I've added the museum our itinerary. I wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Edited: 5 years ago
Reply to: Gansbaai to Oudtshoorn - Road Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oudtshoorn
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.