We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching season in Hermanus

California
Level Contributor
170 posts
168 reviews
65 helpful votes
Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

We will be in the Western Cape mid-March 2018. Is there any chance of seeing whales in Hermanus at that time, or should we look for other activities elsewhere?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 243 posts
85 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

Whales are seldom seen outside of the period between May and October but Hermanus is still worth visiting any time of the year.

Having said that, I saw whales in Table Bay just 2 days ago .. they sometimes visit our shores in summer but not in great numbers.

California
Level Contributor
170 posts
168 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

Thank you. Did you see the whales in Table Bay from a boat on the water or from the shore?

If you read the other comments, there seems to be a complete disconnect concerning visiting Hermanus, at least at the cliffs. From two reviewers there is mention of robbery at gunpoint at three in afternoon with no security in sight and plastic trash polluting the shore line. From other reviewers, plenty of security and beauty. Normally on TA, this sort of disconnect is seen in restaurant or hotel reviews, e.g. the best seafood restaurant in an area might get a terrible rating because a TA contributor was served bad fish. I wonder which perspective is correct concerning the Hermanus cliff area.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
7 611 posts
613 reviews
296 helpful votes
3. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

I have walked on the cliff paths in Hermanus many times, more than 20 at least. There is usually security on the sections nearer the town.

On a recent visit I didn’t see any security and I just didn’t feel 100% safe so I headed back into town.

I have never been robbed nor do I know of anyone that has been robbed, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. A friend of mine recently walked from Gansbaai to Kleinmond for charity as a group of ladies and nothing happened to them.

I find it an exceptionally clean and beautiful town. It’s one of my favourite places in South Africa. But the southern right whale season is June to November. You do get other whales visiting the shores but that is much more hit and miss. The SR’s Coe to breed in Walker Bay.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 243 posts
85 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

Hi Tony,

I saw the whales from a boat, quite far out and very briefly. You may see some but I don't advise making it your goal.

I agree with Lisa re safety etc. I understand your confusion because SA does have a high crime rate, and it includes a lot of petty crime such as muggings. I have not heard of crime in Hermanus but I suppose it can happen. I am there often and always feel safe to walk at night from a hotel to a restaurant, but I would not go off busy streets.

The disconnect you refer to is probably because there are many people who, having not been a victim of crime themselves, will deny its existence. Also, there is common sense which tells you to not wander around certain areas. A good example to illustrate my point : On these forums you will see many posts regarding safety on the mountains in Cape Town. Some people say they must be avoided by hikers because of a recent spate of attacks but others will say it's quite safe. The reality is that the majority of hikers do not get attacked but because of a few who have been, we advise people to avoid it for now. (2 culprits were arrested recently, by the way, so safety may become a reality again).

I hope this helps you a bit - my bottom line advice is to go to Hermanus and enjoy it - it's at its best outside of the whale season because there are less crowds.

Edit: as for plastic etc. I am a tour guide and take tourists all over the Western and Northern Cape. Every single one of my clients have commented on how clean it is. It's a windy region in some parts so there will always be some paper or plastic flying around and becoming trapped in fences and rocks but it's not a huge problem. Our beaches are cleaned regularly, streets are swept, etc.

Edited: 3 years ago
California
Level Contributor
170 posts
168 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus
Save

Thank you for your detailed response with reasonable comments on the issue of safety. It is clear that we should do in the Western Cape what we should be doing everywhere in the world when travelling , . .be alert for possible problems, stay away from notoriously bad neighborhoods, don't walk down dark alleys late at night in big cities and, generally, be smart by not giving criminals an easy target.

6. Re: Whale watching season in Hermanus

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2019, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.