We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or tourist bus/ uber

essex
Level Contributor
79 posts
179 reviews
203 helpful votes
Car or tourist bus/ uber

Hi,

We are in planning stage for a big birthday in 18 months - we have been to Cape Town previously & considering staying in Constantia but not having a car for the whole time. Is it practical to visit the Cape & vineyards without a car? And to go into CT for restaurants - is it expensive to use uber? We do like a drink with our evening meal!

Any suggestions for best location to stay in to utilise other transportation would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Jan

6 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 003 posts
43 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Hi

You can look at the city Sightseeing bus, but they leave from the city and one of the routes includes the Constantia Winelands.

https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/cape-town

They now offer a Peninsula Trip.

If you drink then it would be better to Uber.

Regards

Sean - Owner - 4 Cape Tours

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
9 206 posts
580 reviews
300 helpful votes
2. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Hi

I'm not sure Constantia is too handy without a car. Miciti bus doesn't run out to there.

One of the HOHO lines does go out to Kirstenbosch and a couple of the vineyards but that won't be that helpful for you. To get the tour to the peninsular you would have to head into town.

You could use Uber to get around, as long as you have some data, as free wifi is not that easy to find.

I have stayed in Constantia a couple of times and have always enjoyed my time there. But it is more of a journey to the other areas of Cape Town.

You would need to get around during the day as well as at night to get to restaurants.

I would really suggest you hire a car and take Ubers in the evening. This is what I do.

Or choose somewhere that has better transport links and where the miciti bus operates, so city centre, Sea Point, Greenpoint, Oranjezicht,Tamboerskloof, Bantry Bay, Camps Bay, Hout Bay.

Lisa

Edited: 7 years ago
essex
Level Contributor
79 posts
179 reviews
203 helpful votes
3. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Thanks for the replies, I guess we will get a car but definitely use taxis in the evening! Refuse to miss out on the best wines in the world!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9 206 posts
580 reviews
300 helpful votes
4. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Jan59

I totally agree. I always use taxis or Uber in the evening to get to restaurants. I like a glass or two of wine or a bottle with my dinner!

It's a nice area to stay in Constantia, green and leafy.

There's a relatively new restaurant in Constantia called Foxcrofts. The food is excellent, not much of a view but wonderful service and an interesting wine list to go with the food.

I also like the Bistro at Sixteen82 at Steenberg. In an evening they do tapas until 8pm and lots of their good wines to drink with them.

essex
Level Contributor
79 posts
179 reviews
203 helpful votes
5. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Thanks Lisa,

It's always nice to get restaurant recommendations - interesting about the tapas - we often get carried away lunchtime & don't do dinner justice!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9 206 posts
580 reviews
300 helpful votes
6. Re: Car or tourist bus/ uber

Jan59

I know exactly what you mean!

I sometimes just have starters at lunch now. But it's hard. The food is so good :)

Lisa

Reply to: Car or tourist bus/ uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Constantia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in South Africa. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.