We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Topic
Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Hi all -- we're scheduled to stay in Cape Town from June 23-27th. I was thinking of staying in Stellenbosch, which I understand isn't being hit as hard. We could then drive in for site seeing in Cape Town. Is that just silly? I just hate to think that my large family (6 adults and 2 children) will be coming in and taking water from locals.

Any guidance would be great!

11 replies to this topic
Somerset West...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

We appreciate your concern! However, Stellenbosch is just as affected by the drought, also has severe water restrictions, but also has an alternative (though some say questionable) water supply.

Late June is closer to when our 'better' winter rains start, which is usually May/June in this area. Though nothing is entirely predictable regarding our coming winter rains, my opinion is that by end-June things will have eased off a bit, and I do not think it will be necessary to stay in Stellenbosch in order to 'save' Cape Town's water. This doesn't mean you should not go to Stellenbosch during your stay - indeed, you must!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2 085 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

In an interview published in the Cape Times, it was suggested that the severe water restrictions will probably be in place for at least 3 months, to hopefully allow the reservoirs to fill up.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Yes, severe water restrictions will likely be a way of life for us all in this area for a long time, but I don't think this is enough on its own to take precautions to specifically avoid one particular town or city in the area. Stellenbosch and Cape Town all get their water from much the same rain.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 099 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

"Severe water restrictions" is not the same as taps running dry. It simply means each household will continue to be limited to 50l per person per day. This water saving should actually last for a lot longer than 3 months because we have been very wasteful so curbing waste and changing habits must become part of our lifestyles, with or without a drought.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

We're happy to report that Cape Town is open for business. There are restrictions in place, but there will be water available for your daily needs - even if we reach Day Zero. Many accommodation establishments have taken the initiative to make alternate arrangements for water (such as rain harvesting, water recycling, and so on). While we ask that visitors use water responsibly, we assure you that you'll still be able to see the major attractions and have a fantastic holiday.

During peak season (November – January) international tourists only add 1% to the population of the Western Cape. This number drops from April – September. If you follow the daily usage guideline, your impact would be negligible. The tourism sector supports approximately 300,000 much-needed jobs across the Western Cape, and visitors are essential to support these jobs.

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
1 277 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Cnn.com

https:/…index.html

“What about after Day Zero?

Any non-essential travel will have to be canceled if Day Zero is confirmed, as the city will be in a state of temporary devastation.

Locals will be collecting water from 200 "pods," all of which will be guarded by the army, as queues are predicted to last into the night.

Most restaurants, hotels and schools will have to close and experts have warned of the risk of disease outbreaks and public disorder.”

After reading that, I have changed plans to visit a different part of SA.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4 508 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Coralreef

It is always best to read the local press and not sensational foreign news.

It has taken Cape Town Tourism a long time to respond to this forum, which it should have done 3 or 4 months ago. Please read their responses.

I have been in Cape Town at the current restrictions and it didn’t spoil my holiday in anyway.

I cancelled a night in Cape Town, rather prematurely and moved it to the Overberg. I now wish I hadn’t done that.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Coralreef, please check out the FAQs here: capetown.travel/visitors/plan/save-like-a-lo…

You can also rest assured that tourists wuill not have to queue for water if they choose their accommodation wisely. Hotels have made alternate arrangements for their guests. Read about hotels saving water here: capetown.travel/visitors/stay/water-wise-acc…

lisasplaces, we're so sorry to hear you went ahead and cancelled your night in Cape Town! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and hope to see you back some time soon! <3

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

So-called Day Zero has now been pushed back even further - to 9 July (https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/dayz…).

Although Day Zero could still return to somewhere in June, as lisasplaces and CT Tourism imply, there is no place for panic in this grave situation we are in.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?

Thanks, everyone for your replies. We will stay in Cape Town. Hopefully, we'll find accomodations that have its own water reserve, but will be mindful of our water usage regardless.

Reply to: Cape Town in June -- or stay outside of town to save H2O?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central