We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

Hi I wondered if anyone could advise me the best method of getting to the Waterfront area of Cape Town from the airport. Myself and daughters will be arriving to holiday in Cape Town at the end of this month and we are not sure if we should just pick up a cab when we arrive at the airport or is it best to book before we arrive? Could anyone tell me the approximate cost for such a journey please. Thank you.

15 replies to this topic
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

If you are not hiring a car and using myciti buses then you can get on one from the airport to the Waterfront.

Buy your card where you get on the bus at the airport. This is the cheapest way to go.

san francisco
Level Contributor
794 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

I highly recommend John Farthing of Kestrel services. I used him last year for a couple of car services to and from the airport and plan to use them again later in the year. Friendly professional and reasonable too. Google Kestrel car service for contact info

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

MyCiti bus

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

I agree with mycitibus but just be aware the last bus at Night is about 22.00ish so the KLM and air France day flights are arriving too late Take a taxi we did and there are plenty as you come out of the internatonal area or if a domestic flight they sometimes wait at the entrance of domestic arrivals . BUT My Citi bus any day and once you have a ticket you can use all the mycitibuses in Cape town at such a reasonable rate .

I never take a car from my place into the city its always the bus

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3 103 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

You can also book a private airport transfer, but normally when the word private comes in, it seems that its already a chase away in terms of the price that will be quite expensive. Not the case though, because there is companies listed here on tripadvisor that offers airport transfers and can offer a rate between R350 - R450 if you are between 3/4 people. That will mean that you will be welcomed at the airport with a personal printed welcome board and will also be assisted with your luggage to the vehicle and from there be transported to your place of accommodation in Cape Town.

All the best!

Hank Daries I Owner @ Ulungele Tours & Safaris

London, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

Agree with Hank, try get a private transfer if possible

You will probably arrived tired, in a strange city. Is nice to have someone meet you at arrivals, help with the luggage and drop you at your accommodation.

Once you have your bearings after a day or so, then try MyCiti or other transport if you don't plan on hiring a car.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4 128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

I agree with Hank and At, there is nothing more comforting than, after a long International flight, to see someone who knows the ropes, holding up a card with your name on it.

Ask your accommodation to arrange the transfer , it will almost certainly be less expensive than a similar service Australia.

Edited: 09 February 2018, 18:54
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

Uber is also a cheaper option. Charging between R100 and R150 to get into the CBD depending on the time. I used an Uber with my family last December from the airport and had no problems- but it's a service not liked by most in the transfer business as it seems to disadvantage them in a way

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
598 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

We did a private car with driver, booked it online at the same time I booked everything else. Nothing better than getting thru customs and having a friendly person holding a sign up with your name on it. Takes all the stress from a long 20 hr flight and makes it disappear. Paid right around $100 US for roundtrip, for us it was easily worth that.

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport

Thank you for your very helpful advice. We have booked a private hire through our accommodation and have even been able to arrange to stop off at supermarket to obtain some basics as we are self-catering. As was mentioned the fact that we will be met after a very long journey is something to look forward to. I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post and we will use the information about mycitibus to use at another time.

Lynda

Reply to: Best Method for Transferring from Cape Town Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted