We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting Premium Cars

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
907 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Renting Premium Cars

Hi,

I will be renting a car at CPT for my stay there during which I will be driving around, will also be renting a car in JNB for a one way trip to Durban.

My first question is: Would it attract unwanted attention if I rent a premium car like 3 series or C Class as opposed to renting a Toyota? Costs for premium cars are lower than regular cars in some cases, which is making me wonder whether there is a downside to them as in greater breakin/theft risks

2nd question:

Also, people suggest keeping valuables in the trunk and not the front seats, in that regards, is it safer to rent a sedan than a 4x4 ?

Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town Intl Airport
Cape Town Intl Airport
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
13 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting Premium Cars

I was planning to ask the same question! I am travelling one way from CT to Port Elizabeth down the garden route!

Wanted to know if it's fine to take a C Class/A3 sort or should we limit ourselves to a mid size sedan for fear of a break-in etc..

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting Premium Cars

Lots of fancy vehicles on our roads: conspicuous consumption is very important to many of the proportionately few South Africans who can afford the credit.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting Premium Cars

Those models quoted are quite average run-of-the-mill rather than premium in Cape Town. Rental companies might badge them as premium.

Definitely keep valuables hidden if you have to leave them in the car!

Edited: 08 February 2018, 08:33
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5 505 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting Premium Cars

Do people generally leave valuables out on the front seat anywhere? I don’t.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting Premium Cars

I asked the exact same question before I went on the trip. Eventually we rented C Class from AVIS back in October and drove it for 2 weeks along the Garden Route. There was no problem at all and at all time we felt safe in our car. Only that when you parked, it would be awkward to say no to a beggars when you were driving a fancy car, you know what I mean.

Few things that I would suggest is to check clearly the size of the trunk of the car that you would like to rent, consider that you should put everything in the trunk when you parked the car. We were playing Tetris in order to fit 2 pcs of luggage and some small bags inside the trunk.

One more thing, is to make sure that you have a full comprehensive insurance on your car. When we returned the car to AVIS, there was some mysterious scratches appeared on the back and we had no idea how we got them. But due to the full insurance, we paid nothing.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting Premium Cars

@cbir Here in UAE, we left everything in the car and we do not even lock the car. :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
907 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting Premium Cars

@AmAme, that is not a wise thing to do as theft does occur from cars in the UAE (if not breakins), so not locking the car is not really smart : )

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5 505 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting Premium Cars

AmAme - Great, but I couldn’t kiss my boyfriend or girlfriend in public.

I don’t always lock my car either but I don’t leave my phone or wallet on the front seat either.

When I dropped R100 in S Africa, a young man ran after me trying to get it back to me (some here might think he was trying to rob or attack them!). Stop believing that everyone is going to steal your crap or your fancy car.

Mentioned in this post
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
848 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 968 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting Premium Cars

C class MB are almost as common as dirt on our roads.

Keep all valuables locked in the boot.... out of sight means less temptation for opportunists.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting Premium Cars

Perfect. Thanks for the help guys!

Reply to: Renting Premium Cars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central