We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

4 posts
Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

Is it safe to wear brand name shoes? I have the most comfortable donna Karen shoes that fit my orthotics inside of them, but there's a large DKNY Donna Karen logo on the back. Should I completely forgo bringing or wearing logo branded items while there?

28 replies to this topic
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3 105 posts
28 reviews
21. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

Read post #14 again, Biertje. That is exactly the accusation that is being levelled, and by no means for the first time either.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 637 posts
29 reviews
22. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

I find it totally unacceptable that the accusatory racist comment has been bandied about when there is simply not one iota of racism comment, opinion, or attitude by any poster in this thread except ONE. Amen Auntie.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
309 reviews
23. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

Totally agree with you stargaize1.

Gem1662016, thanks for your comments, yes I shouldn't let one negative person put me off using the forum.

Auntie, thank you for being a positive voice of reason. I always love your helpful & positive posts on the forum. 😊

Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
24. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

Absolutely no issue with big brands in SA. SA is home to most big name brands in the world and they are worn by the locals. Only worry if you are visiting some of the slums and unaccompanied by expert guides. Otherwise the crime in SA is over-hyped.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
25. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

I actually think people come to feel fear about violent crime there BECAUSE they do a lot of googling. I was offered a job in SA 10 years ago and I couldn't for the life of me work out whether I would be happy and safe living there or locked into a safe room all day. The info all seemed so polarized. When I finally visited South Africa I absolutely loved it and wished I'd have had more balanced a view of it while I was thinking of relocating. I think that balanced view can only be attained if people are willing to be gentler with others who might be shell shocked from googling up a big dose of alarmist news, while still being realistic. But this means also being willing to talk about safety issues that really do need extra attention.

When I was staying at a place in Nelspruit I had a regular door and an outer door made of bars. I wasn't sure if I should lock the barred door if I went to grab something from my car in the connected/gated/fenced lot, or if it was more for when I was turning in for the night, or for if people wanted to let a breeze in without unlocking everything? So I asked. The guy running the place rolled his eyes at me and told me if I was 'scared' I should lock everything tightly. I'd been traveling by myself for 2 weeks and hadn't been scared, I just wanted information so I would know. It was common knowledge to him, and he must hear more than his fair share of alarmist or paranoid questions, but I just wanted information so I could make good choices and enjoy my travels, that's it.

For the record, he was the only single local that wasn't completely friendly to me while I was there - all of the other hosts and locals were happy to share info, some of which I would never have even thought to ask on my own. It's so much easier to relax and enjoy yourself if you feel like you have the info you need, even if your initial questions were (in retrospect) based on an incorrect perception.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 19:20
East Coast
Level Contributor
352 posts
47 reviews
26. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

I read this thread anticipating that it would become negative quickly and I was not disappointed. An elderly

friend has asked me to figure out whether he should go to CT next month, so I have been looking at the boards - apparently he asked a question and was told to "google" in and he simply does not know how - and gave up.

I've seen, in the threads I've read, people called selfish, racist and other things and it just doesn't seem to

fit the definition of a "community." Many people taking epic trips are older and not versed in internet research

while others are afraid, as pointed out upstream, by the anecdotal stories about SA. While I'm sure the questions irk many, there are ways to answer without a rush to judgment.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3 105 posts
28 reviews
27. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

I'm sorry your friend was put off asking for information, MickiD. I confess to doing the GoogleIsYourFriend thing myself on occasion, to questions like "What time does the bus leave", etc. It never occurred to me that someone internet-savvy enough to set up a user profile and post on an online forum would not be familiar with basic search engine use, so I had always assumed the poster was just being lazy.

Please ask your friend to post his question again (I did try to find it on a search, but nothing likely came up), or better yet, do it on his behalf and let's see if the community can do better this time.

East Coast
Level Contributor
352 posts
47 reviews
28. Re: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes

Thanks, Auntie. His original question was a while ago and I believe one of his grandchildren set up the account and left him to his own devices. I've gotten the information I need to help him, actually more off

line on Flyer Talk than here. But I wanted to suggest that it's just not fair/kind to assume

racism, selfishness, laziness, etc. when the posters circumstances are unknown. As a person who has been to SA several times but isn't on these boards much, I was put off by some of the throwaway lines on some of the threads.

Reply to: Safe to Wear Brand Name Shoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted