We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

1 post
1 review
Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Hi

I am travelling to Cape town on April 17 and going to Robertson on 20th. My current booking in Cape Town is at Camps Bay. I really want to do Table Mountain, Chapman's peak and Boulder's beach.

Given the drought conditions, we are scared of any riot like situation to develop.

Should we change our bookings? If yes, can we stay somewhere through which we can cover Chapman's peak and Boulder's beach where there is no Drought? If not, which is the place nearest to Cape town where there is no Drought?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
G J
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Hi there - it's actually just been pushed back to May 11. I imagine you'll be fine.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
231 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Update:

ewn.co.za/2018/02/05/day-zero-pushed-back-to…

Durban, South Africa
4 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Chapmans Peak and Boulders Beach are in the drought area. Hermanus is excluded and is quite close. But you will be fine during that time. There won’t be any riot. Just use water sparingly 😬

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Hi there! We hadn't seen this post until now. We're happy to report that Cape Town is open for business. There are restrictions in place, but there will be water available for your daily needs - even if we reach Day Zero. Many accommodation establishments have taken the initiative to make alternate arrangements for water (such as rain harvesting, water recycling, and so on). While we ask that visitors use water responsibly, we assure you that you'll still be able to see the major attractions and have a fantastic holiday.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

"Given the drought conditions, we are scared of any riot like situation to develop".

We have reduce water consumption from more than a 1000 million lt per day to nearly 500 million. And we did it because we care. If some fat cats don't contribute and there no rain (little rain) we will go to the next phase in July where we are limited to 25 lt.

Cape Town is showing the world how to respect a resource like water.

Your stay here is to make an financial impact.

A clever guy said, "A boat is safe in a harbour, but that's not why boats are build for."

You travel because you are a boat.

And you visit Cape Town to see how we all team up to respect each other and water.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
397 posts
6. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Awesome a post that combines crime with the water crisis.

Day zero pushed back to July which is in anycase after the winter rains.

We have a comprehensive list of establishments with their own supplies from underground.

This saga has got well out of hand.

Colin Eastcapetours

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5 374 posts
623 reviews
7. Re: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought

Colin

There has been a lot of incorrect information in the international press, including insinuations that there will be cival unrest if the taps run dry.

Therefore, I can understand the original post. I know it's rubbish but I travel to South Africa 2 or 3 times a year.

Reply to: Cape Town : April 17-20- Drought
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central