We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the garden route in south africa

India
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
the garden route in south africa

Sincere request for an advice for self drive tour to port elizabeth from cape town in april last week (one way only). we are thinking of spending 4 nights in garden route.

must see places, accommodation en route.

3 replies to this topic
Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the garden route in south africa

Hello,

4 nights along the garden route is perfect. I personally have done this journey only last month. it is a very easy drive and the cost of petrol is very low. Just remember when getting petrol you should have some change o tip the pump attendant 5r or 10r .

I would definitely recommend Plettenburg Bay as the food and location is brilliant. Lots of activities near by too. Monkey land, garden of Eden, Elephant park etc. Leisure Island in Knysna has some nice hotels to stay in too.

My advice would be to look at Google maps now and see what beaches or landmarks catch your eye. I would be sure you will find great food and accommodation along the way. Starting in Hermanus would be lovely. a brilliant wee town with beautiful scenery and great restaurants. This is what we did.

Don't worry about spending time in port Elizabeth, it isn't great by comparison to the rest of the garden route (my personal opinion)

Mentioned in this post
Garden of Eden
Garden of Eden
254 Reviews
Knysna, South Africa
Knysna
Knysna
Western Cape, South Africa
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the garden route in south africa

That's a tough question to answer because it is so broad and we don't know your personal interests.

Are you the type who likes a hike along a magnificent coast line (then hike at Tsitsikama Nat. Park or the Robberg Nature Reserve!), or are you more the type who'd like to plunge off one of the world's tallest bungy jumps? (then its Bloukrans Bungy for you!) Fancy resort type with fine restaurants, or a simple cabin with your own braii? Rather walk on a beach for the afternoon, or shop for curios?

A bit more information would make it easier for folks to assist you.

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the garden route in south africa

The Garden Route has a lot to offer so depending on what you want out of your vacation you can find activities along the way.

As a guide line, I might suggest following route 62 from Cape Town to Oudtshoorn. There you can visit the Ostrich Farms, or the Cango Caves. There is also some game reserves in the area.

From Oudtshoorn you could perhaps drive to Wilderness, and spend some time on the beach in the area. There are also hiking trails you could go for short walks on.

Traveling from Wilderness you could go through Knysna to Plettenberg Bay. Along the way you can stop at the Knysna Waterfront, and the Heads, In Plett you can go whale watching, or stop at the Knysna Elephant Park for a close up encounter of the giants.

After Plett stay a night in Tsitsikama National park, and don't forget to stop at the Bloukrans Bridge to watch the bungee jumpers (or do it yourself)

From Tsitsikama it will be a short 2 hour drive to get to Port Elzabeth.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
The Cango Caves
The Cango Caves
3 443 Reviews
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
Wilderness