We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking ahead for day trips

Florence
Level Contributor
212 posts
30 reviews
Booking ahead for day trips

Hello, we are going to Cape Town in September and realise it is not the best time to go but it cannot be helped. I was wondering during if we can book the day trips and any other trips when we get there, rather than booking ahead. My concern is that if there is a clear day when we are there we could quickly go up Table Mountain or go along the coast and if we have booked ahead we would not have any flexibility. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6 904 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

I had beautiful weather in September.

You don’t need to hook ahead if not taking a tour. If you don’t rent a car, it’s harder but not impossible. Table Mountain, just go in a taxi, car service, HopOn HopOff bus and buy a ticket. For the Cape of Good Hope, rent a car or ask your hotel about small group or private tours when you get there. Robben island is booked ahead - I don’t know what happens when the weather is bad. Hopefully others can help more. The winelands are easy to drive to as well.

If you rent a car, you won’t have any scheduling problems.

Florence
Level Contributor
212 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

Thankyou. We were not intending to rent a car though, a bit complicated. Just worried we might not get a tour if we wait until we get there, We realise that we will probably have to book in advance for Robin Island.

Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

Hey Johnsonwax,

I cannot recoment to got to Robben Island, the tour there is quiet borring. Instead i would go to District Six museum which i found much more interisting. Also the guides at District Six museum are much more dedicated in comperison to the guides we had on robben island. If you want to make a picture of Mandelas prison cell, there is also a replicate at the airport (international arrival).

I also was there in September twice, so there will be cloudy days, but also alot of sunshine. You will enjoy it!

Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

I forgot to say, that it makes realy sence to rent a car, as it will allows you to be much more felxible so that you will be see more of the beautiful cape. It is also not complicated to drive in South Africa (no comerison to asian cities). If you still not want to drive by your own, I can recomend using Uber.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

Cape Town holidaying is more about enjoying the beauty of the city and its surroundings more than any 'special''activities. The thing you need most is being mobile and renting a car would be the cheaper and best option. Only a few activities need to be booked in advance from my own experience.

Table Mountain is a must but unfortunately very ''weather sensitive''. Plan this while you still have days in Cape Town as chances of cancellations are considerable.

Florence
Level Contributor
212 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

I am afraid renting a car is not an option so we need to go on day trips/tours. Would we be able to book them all when we get there or are they all booked in advance. We want to go to see the whales at Hermanus if we can, penquins, Cape of Good Hope, etc. My only worry is that we would love to go to Table Mountain and if we book excursions before we arrive and find that one of those days the weather is suitable to go to Table Mountain, we can't because we have already made other arrangements. Hope that makes sense! We will not have the chance to visit Cape Town again. Thank you.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 242 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

Reputable tour companies are flexible about the cablecar issue. If you book all your day tours with the same company they will factor in the eventuality of it being closed and will allow time on another day. Private tours means flexibility. The best way for them to plan an itinerary is to book the tickets for the first day so that they are valid for a week after that in the event it is closed.

I think you should book ahead.

By the way, September can be awesome. If you have time, ask for a day at the West Coast National Park for the flowers. That, too, should be a flexible day because flowers don't open if the sun is not out.

Florence
Level Contributor
212 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Booking ahead for day trips

Thank you for your advice, will book ahead

Reply to: Booking ahead for day trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central