We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Derry City, N...
Level Contributor
353 posts
87 reviews
Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Having organized the holiday of a life time, 2 weeks in Cape Town arriving February 26th we are now very seriously thinking of cancelling due to the water crisis. The BBC has been broadcasting numerous reports about how bad it's getting. If toilet and shower use is being severely restricted I can't imagine what restaurant toilets and staff hygiene conditions are going to be like. Never mind the implications for food preparation. Also personally not being allowed to shower or flush the toilet sounds grim. We realize for the locals this must be horrendous and we feel really sorry for them.

Any suggestions?

89 replies to this topic
Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
397 posts
1. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Why do the BBC publish such nonsense.

Please see the actual situation below

Planning to visit Cape Town and the Western Cape?

Come and enjoy, but be mindful of the drought

Come enjoy....

Cape Town and the Western Cape are open for business in spite of the current drought. Visitors are arriving in a place with a significant

breadth and depth of experiences and exceptional beauty. However, as beautiful as it is, the Western Cape is a water-scarce part of the

world (much like Southern California and Western Australia) and is vulnerable to the effects of climate change and is susceptible to

periodic droughts.

At present the Western Cape is experiencing a significant drought. This is a 1 in 1000-year occurrence. To counter the short-term

effects of the drought and the possibility of running out of water, the City has put in place a number of initiatives to increase the supply

of water and make provision for extreme water shortages.

There are still many places across the Western Cape that are not as severely affected by the drought such as the nearby Garden Route

and the Cape Overberg.

...but be mindful

Below average rainfall over a number of years has forced everyone who lives in or visits Cape Town to rethink their water usage

behaviours. Responsible consumption of water is the new normal – not just in Cape Town but in many other water-scarce places in

the world.

Some parts of the tourism and hospitality industry have proactively adjusted how they utilise water to reduce their consumption –

giving guests peace of mind that every drop is being used responsibly.

In the event of what the City of Cape Town refers to as ‘Day Zero’, there will be available water for tourists and locals’ critical needs.

This is considered to be water for personal hygiene and consumption. ‘Day Zero’ is when the City of Cape Town cuts the regular flow

of water.

‘Day Zero’ is a projected date that is entirely dependent on current rates of water consumption: if all stakeholders adhere to the required

water savings target, ‘Day Zero’ can be avoided.

Much like a local, tourists need to treat this scarce resource with the utmost respect.

Colin Eastcapetours

Edited: 27 January 2018, 13:33
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 351 posts
2. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

"Day Zero" is an estimated date based upon current levels of usage. There is a huge campaign at the present for all of us to reduce these levels. This will be backed up, from February 1st, by significant Financial Sanctions for exceeding the recommended levels per household. "Day Zero" is cerrently estimated to be April 12th. If usage drops to the recommended levels then this date will be significantly extended - and possibly may be avoided altogether.

No mater what it is very unlikely to arrive in February or early March when you are here. At the moment we all go about or lives fairly close to normal. Yes we are increasingly saving water but realising this is, at the moment, of minor inconvenience to readjust. We go to great restaurants, pubs and entertainment. The scenery is the same - in fact the normal sparse summer rain contiues to keeping natue looking fresh and basically gree. Nature adjusts easily. So just come. I am absolutely sure you will still have a fabulous holiday in this wonderful city and, as most want to, plan to be coming back time after time in future years

Edited: 27 January 2018, 14:13
Derry City, N...
Level Contributor
353 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Thanks for that reassuring answer. What seriously concerned us was today's BBC website Cape Town update.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42836560

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 371 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

I think the BBC report is pretty balanced and factual.

I think what is worrying people from abroad considering visiting is the what the situation on the ground will be if taps are indeed switched off. Simple things like realising that there will be no water coming out of the bath and shower ( in most areas) are easy predict. What is harder to judge is if there will be shut downs at restaurants, hotels, tourist sights, shortage of water in shops and social unrest.

I don’t think anyone knows whats going to happen though.

Edited: 27 January 2018, 17:39
Derry City, N...
Level Contributor
353 posts
87 reviews
5. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

It's just that water is a resource we take for granted nowadays and it affects every aspect of life from health, hygiene, nutrition, catering to agriculture etc., so when it runs out it is seriously worrying!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 351 posts
6. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Hi Mankster

When are you planning to come? I can give you specific information based on the dates you plan to be in Cape Town. The information I posted for Dore is based on them coming February into early March. This should be well before any consideration of turning off taps. If you will be here later advice may be different.

This article, published today, is well worth reading and helps to give potential visitors some confidence that some serious planning by the city is actually going on. The qualifications of some of the politicians involved is actually quite impressive!

https:/…

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6 787 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Doire - instead of cancelling all together, why not just shorten the time in Cape Town? S Africa is a big, beautiful, diverse country with so much to do and see. (Personally, 2 weeks in Cape Town would be forever, others not long enough). You can head to the town on the Eastern Cape, head to a beach area like Zimbali, Umlhanga or Balito on the east coast in KwaZulu Natal and have a great wildlife experience in Kruger or KZN. Those other areas are not experiencing extreme (or any) drought

There’s much more than Cape Town. S Africa is not so far away or exotic anymore - you’ll go back for your longer time in Cape Town soon. Go, enjoy the country!

Derry City, N...
Level Contributor
353 posts
87 reviews
8. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Hi cbir

Thanks for your suggestions. After all the really helpful replies we feel a bit more reassured. I realize South Africa is a huge fascinating country and I would love to see more of its amazing scenery and culture but with only two weeks we decided we wanted to concentrate on one part of the country and really get a feel for the place. There's so much to see and do in Cape Town I think we'll have no problem passing the time. And there's the added attraction of just chilling out on its beautiful beaches :-)

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6 787 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

I’m glad you’re not cancelling. I just wanted to give you alternatives in case you were considering missing it.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 371 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(

Van_de_Caan, will be in SA for 2 week trip in October. So not for quite some time. Flying into and out of JB. Cape Town is on ours list of places to visit. But I am holding out booking internal flights and accomadation for now, to see how things pan out. Hoping the winter will bring plenty of rain. We will come if it is at all practice,

Reply to: Seriously considering cancelling holiday in Cape Town :-(
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central