We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rental car company at airpirt

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best rental car company at airpirt

Renting a car from cape town to Port Elizabeth

Any recommendations?

I have a reservation with First Car Rental but seeing lots of reviews regarding bad service. May need to change.

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
13 replies to this topic
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4 311 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

I have used Bidvest for 2 different one month holidays, picking up and dropping off at various places, including CT and will continue to use them .

I believe Avis has the largest number of offices around SA which might be a consideration if you are wandering off the usual tourist track.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

Thank you

Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

If you are yet to travel I would recommend AVIS. They seem to always have the best rates and conditions. Have used them twice on visits to SA. They also have quite a big fleet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 449 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

I would also recommend Avis.

However, whichever car rental company you use, do NOT fall into the trap of thinking that you need to return the car with a full tank of fuel. The major car rental companies in South Africa do NOT want you to do this. You may find surcharges added to your final bill if you do return the car with a full tank.

They want you to return the vehicle with whatever fuel is left in the tank when you arrive at the rental company's returned vehicles lot. The rental company will get the vehicle refilled and will ONLY charge you the pump price for the amount of fuel added to fill the tank.

Mentioned in this post
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9 194 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

I am also an AVIS fan - and always use them. You will have a dropoff fee added the cost. I just did a 'sample' booking and the dropoff fee was just over $85. That is similar to such fees that I have had in the past.

Moving right along - I always make the booking at www.avis.com - not www.avis.co.za, which is the South Africa operation. Using the US web site give you more flexibility..

Dave Patterson - The Africa Safari

Mentioned in this post
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
848 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

Thanks for input

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

This is fantastic. The last thing you need to do is worry about finding the petrol station as you grapple with spagetti junction freeways at the airports and you have a flight to catch. WE used AVIS and got upgraded the an Audi A4 from a Toyota Corolla. What a pleasure.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4 734 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

I have used all the major companies over the years and do not have a preference. I steer clear of Woodford because of their limited mileage policy.

I have just rented with First from Durban and was very impressed. They have a note hanging in the car that specifically says do not refuel the car and they don’t charge a surcharge, which I liked. Th receipt was emailed to me within 2 hours and was as expected.

You will find bad stories about all hire car companies! My worst experience was actually with Avis. There was a problem and it took me several calls when I got back to sort it out. But I still hire with them!

I always use a consolidator and then pick the best price with the T&C’s that suit me.

Edited: 11 February 2018, 14:08
Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2 085 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

I've been using Avis all over South Africa for nearly 20 years & have always received first class service. I book through the BA website which gives the added bonus of an extra driver, free of charge. I'm also an Avis Preferred member.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best rental car company at airpirt

Avis gets a love in on here, but as with lisasplaces I just use any of the major companies that offer the best deal. Coincidentally I've had the most issues with avis, but I still rent with them, as stated you'll hear horror stories about all the major companies if you look hard enough.

I wasn't aware of this fuel policy, is this new? or does it depend on the fuel policy. I always book with a full to full policy, as it's hard to judge to get it back empty.

Reply to: Best rental car company at airpirt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central