We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

n.y
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We are supposed to be traveling to Cape Town for 5 nights starting May 17. It was brought to our attention thst the water supply may be shut off due to a severe drought. Do we need to be concerned when staying at 5 star hotels? How do they wash dishes, how do we shower, and just concerns for normal hygiene.

It is time to pay in full for our trip amd we need to make an informed decision.

Thx for any input.

32 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

I understand that Hazyview is ok on water, right?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3 809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

absolutely no problem.

Klaus

-Hazyview-

3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Good to hear some positive comments. I am travelling to Capetown in early April 2018 and was concerned about the water crisis. While we plan to be extremely mindful of the water restrictions, just wanted to know that there is enough bottled water available and the other touristy destinations are all functional and open.

I think Capetown has too many things to offer, for us to not keep it included in my first trip to SA.

dorset
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We are in CT now & had I known I would not have come. We love the country, come every year but this will be the last time. 2 yrs ago it was electricity strikes now we don’t have enough water to flush the loo, only short showers, concerns about washing hands, bodies, clothes & dishes. The supermarkets are running out of bottled water now which is a worry. As for hotels they have to comply whatever star rating it has. Go to a different part of this beautiful country & wait till CT has their water problems sorted, you don’t come on holiday to worry about washing & using the loo.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We will be in Cape Town May 8-12 staying at the Victoria and Alfred hotel. The current date for the cut off is May 11. Will we be affected staying at that hotel? We will conserve water as best we can as the locals are doing but would like to be assured we will not be without water. It is a dire situation now and I hope for the rainy season to come soon. Thoughts or suggestions? I have emailed the hotel but am waiting on response

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

What about all of the people coming for the Jazz Festival in March? Won't that put a big strain on the water supply as it is already severely low? Will the Cape Town Jazz Festival still go on or will it be cancelled?. We already have tickets and reservations at the S & A waterfront. Not sure if we will come or cancel. Please advise. .

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Big events such as Jazz Fest are still happening. Many of them have made alternate arrangments to ensure a water supply, such as bringing water in from outside the affected area. We're happy to report that Cape Town is open for business. There are restrictions in place, but there will be water available for your daily needs - even if we reach Day Zero. Many accommodation establishments have taken the initiative to make alternate arrangements for water (such as rain harvesting, water recycling, and so on). While we ask that visitors use water responsibly, we assure you that you'll still be able to see the major attractions and have a fantastic holiday.

You can see more details here: capetown.travel/visitors/plan/save-like-a-lo…

We look forward to welcoming you to Cape Town!

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
84 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We made the decision to fly to Durban, rather than stay in our rented apartment in CT, hire a car and drive up the coast towards the Mosambique border, and and very glad we did. Durban restaurants aren't quite the same as CTs , but they were delighted to take our money. I will be doing the same next year - as I don't see things changing for a couple of years at least.

We were stuck with 'Load shedding -' no power,a couple of years ago, we now have water shortage, next year blocked drains.?

Come on it's a great city -please sort it.

Then I read 200 stand pipes for 4.5 million -?

dorset
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Having just returned from Cape Town I would say if you’re in a Hotel things are not too bad, but we rented a villa & honestly it wasn’t great. Our landlord told us he would be fined if we went over the daily amount recommended, cold showers, not flushing & supermarkets running out of fresh water was not how we imagined an expensive holiday to be. Went to Mount Nelson Hotel for tea & it was as if there was no problem, even the gardens were lush, but we were told from May stand pipes will be installed.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

So called day zero now in June.

Floods thus week so it ill be pushed back further when winter rain should arrive.

All the hotels have plans, better still most have boreholes and there is a huge amount of water underground.

I have no idea why you would have old showers there is no problem with electricity.

Plus we have a now an very sensible new president.

Felling very positive, Colin Eastcapetours

Reply to: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central