We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

n.y
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We are supposed to be traveling to Cape Town for 5 nights starting May 17. It was brought to our attention thst the water supply may be shut off due to a severe drought. Do we need to be concerned when staying at 5 star hotels? How do they wash dishes, how do we shower, and just concerns for normal hygiene.

It is time to pay in full for our trip amd we need to make an informed decision.

Thx for any input.

53 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 688 posts
1. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Visitors are urged to save water, just like a local.

In other words:

Do not use the bathtub.

Shower for 2 minutes or less.

Perhaps shower only every second day, if possible.

Do not leave the water running while brushing teeth, washing hair, shaving, etc.

Make sure all taps are fully closed after use.

Use towels for more than just one day, to save on water used for laundry.

Use a bucket in the shower to collect water, which is then used to flush the toilet.

Do not flush, using precious potable water to remove small amounts of waste ( especially liquids).

"If it is yellow, let it mellow. If its brown, flush it down ( using grey water from the shower)".

5 Star hotels are no exception to the recommendations.

I have no idea how the wash dishes, but they surely have a plan in place.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 202 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

If there will not be any substantial rains till May, or if the new boring holes will not provide what they hope for, also above measures might not suffice. Just back from SA, 4 nights at Cape Town: 2 x 30-45 sec showers in total, toilet flushed once a day, no shaving ... I hope I have not wasted too much of the precious water. The situation is grave!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 229 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

You are not likely to be badly affected because hotels will make special arrangements, especially 5 star ones. Which hotel are you planning to stay at?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 202 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

I have to disagree with you, Francoise. Most probably the money can buy but in this particular case, only proper way for any visitor is to share the troubles with locals! Saving water for less important needs (like showering) means that there will be more water for more important things (read hospitals). If people would be willing to share available resources in equal way then there would be much less problems on this planet. With water, food and other issues. Safety comes to mind after a short stay near Cape Town.

Great Missenden...
Level Contributor
86 posts
445 reviews
5. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We made the decision to avoid Cape Town, we are on holiday not in a desert!!!

Try Durban - we are!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 202 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Oh well ...

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 229 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

Xelas, you're misunderstanding me.

I agree with you that everyone should assist but the reality is different. I am in tourism right here in Cape Town so I know what I'm talking about.

There are some top hotels who are not letting this affect their guests in any visible way. They have other water sources. This is why I asked which hotel the OP is booked in - several of them have boreholes, such as the Cellars Hohenort in Constantia - or access to underground streams, such as the Mount Nelson near the city centre. There are also many hotels who installed water tanks before last winter and have been collecting water.

The biggest waste culprits are some expensive villas where pools are topped up and no instructions/warnings are given to guests.

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
19 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

I’m very nervous. We are arriving on March 1 for

2 weeks We are staying at the Glen Hotel. Please keep us posted. 🙏🙏

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 202 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

That clears the topic well, Francoise. Indeed Constantia looks much greener, as was the Kirstenbosch area. As for the underground water, when and if (and I sincerely hope the rains will come!) those should be shared irrespective of who has invested into them Beside oxygen water is the only obligatory element any human (and wildlife) being needs to have access to.

For the benefit of the citizens of Cape Town I almost wish many tourists would decide not to come visiting it. It looks like way too many of them are unwilling to change their "normal" patterns ....

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 229 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town

We were also rather nervous of the way tourism would impact water usage over the very busy peak-season just gone and it turns out that usage was not much higher. We do need tourists, it's a huge part of our economy down here.

Reply to: Water drought concerns for may 2018 at Cape Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central