We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Hope Island...
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

I've just been reading about the drought, even with taps being turned off - we will be in CPT and Stellenbosh in mid Feb, is this likely to affect us? We're staying at the Table Bay hotel in CPT and a small hotel in Stellenbosh.

Many Thanks,

7 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 327 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Visitors are being asked to cooperate in the saving of water, and to follow the same advice as locals.

Don't use the bathtub.

Shower with a friend if possible.

Shower for only 2 minutes or less, use a bucket to catch water in the shower for use in flushing toilets, only flush when necessary ("If it's yellow, let it mellow").

Do not leave the tap running while brushing teeth, shaving, etc.

In other words,except for some minor adjustments ( which are extremely important) you will still have an enjoyable visit.

Probably you'll get some Capetonians coming in with updates, tips, etc.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Gavin's post above pretty much sums it up. Yes there will still be water when you are here but we would ask that you assist in saving water along the guidelines given.

If you could limit yourself to 87l a day or less (including showering, drinking, toilet etc) you will comply with the restrictions currently in place to residents.

Welcome to our beautiful city.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
4 608 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Showering with a friend can take much longer....

Americans use an average of 176 gallons (over 650 liters!) of water per day. Good luck cutting that - we don’t even realize how much we use and waste. I hope the hotels (and everywhere) have added aerators to showerheads and faucets. It really helps cut waste without even noticing. Same with a brick in older toilets. Though S Africa toilets kind of have me stumped - I can’t get them to flush properly (so I’ve always let yellow be mellow). I know, TMI and what is wrong with me? And I’m happy to use a bucket of shower water to flush but too many tourists wouldn’t. (Maybe that’s the forever solution to my flushing problem!). 💡

Holding thumbs for rain.

Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Stage 6 water restrictions are already in place as of January 1st. This means that it has been kicked up a notch.

Water usage has been reduce to 10,500 litres per household per month or 87 lites per person in a household.

If you abide by the hotels requests, you should not be affected Use water sparingly. In restaurants water will not be automatically brought to the table. You will have to request it.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

One more tip which can save water.

Do use your towels more than once. Most people do use their towels more than once at home. So why have them changed daily when you are staying in a hotel.

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Is the drought only affecting Cape Town or does it reach further afield?

We are due to visit at the end of April and after 4 nights in cape Town will be driving the Garden Route, ending our trip at Amkhala game reserve. Incredibly excited!!!

I would imagine that if there had been no rain at all by then the restrictions would be greater.

Edited: 03 January 2018, 12:25
Cape Town
Level Contributor
550 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?

Cape Town and the immediate surroundings are very, very badly affected, but the Garden Route (Knysna, George, Plettenberg Bay) seems to be OK - there were good rains in that area recently. At least that's what I heard ...

The problem with Cape Town and the South-Western part of the Western Cape is that

- it is a winter rainfall area, so there won't be any meaningful rain for the next several months;

- the regular winter rain has been pretty sparse over the past 2-3 years;

- the population has increased (and is still increasing) beyond the capacity of the dams to cope;

- it is run by a political party that is in opposition to the government, so national government has refused to step in and help with the drought, despite the rest of the country being awash with water at the moment (this could become a contentious discussion so I'll just leave it at that).

So the problem is going to get a lot worse before we get relief in June/July.

Edited: 03 January 2018, 12:49
Reply to: Drought in CPT, will it affect our visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central