We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about SIM Card

Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice about SIM Card

Hello,

I'll be in Cape Town for 8 days and I have to buy a SIM Card.

The thing is, I won't need the internet for anything else than calling Uber taxis.

Which means, I need minimum data - and no calls at all.

What would be the price at the airport?

9 replies to this topic
Hamburg
Level Contributor
362 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about SIM Card

Just visit the Website i.e. Vodacom.za and you will find all their offers on airtime or data bundles.

They have got a shop in the Jo'bg airport one floor up from the Arrival hall.

Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about SIM Card

I was looking at this company: http://b4i.travel/ buuuut I arrive way past 9 pm aka I have no clue how they plan to arrange for picking up the SIM Card? If you arrive at the airport before 9 pm this may work for you? If anyone has suggestions for ppl who arrive at the airport late let me know

Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about SIM Card

I was looking at this company: http://b4i.travel/ buuuut I arrive way past 9 pm aka I have no clue how they plan to arrange for picking up the SIM Card? If you arrive at the airport before 9 pm this may work for you? If anyone has suggestions for ppl who arrive at the airport late let me know

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about SIM Card

I don't know about the shop hours in the airport but, I did purchase a Sim card today. R105 for the card and whatever plan you choose. I chose the 2GB data only for R249. Used Uber to get into town. You can add more data or functions at any shop.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4 430 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about SIM Card

I paid R5 for a SIM card at a Vodacom shop in Caledon, so it’s cheaper but if you want one straight away, then you may think it’s more convenient to pay the inflated price at the airport.

Data costs are the same at the airport.

Also if you only want 2 weeks of data, rather than a month it is cheaper. They don’t often tell you this!

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about SIM Card

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am in Cape Town in April for 10 days, I have wifi in the apartment we are staying in and will only need data for Uber, is free wifi readily available in restaurants, bars etc, if so I wont need to get a SIM.

Thanks in advance

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4 430 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice about SIM Card

7eric7

WiFi is more commonplace now but still not that widespread in restaurants and bars. In fact on a recent visit, none of the restaurants I visited had WiFi.

If you want to use Uber whilst you’re out and about, you will need a local Sim with data, or you could ask your UK provider what their rates are for SA. Some providers are not as expensive as you may think.

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice about SIM Card

Thanks for the swift reply, my supplier is £6 a day for data so it looks like a local SIM.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2 558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice about SIM Card

"will only need data for Uber, is free wifi readily available in restaurants, bars etc, if so I wont need to get a SIM." The restaurant staff very happily call Uber for you from their own phones because here you can pay the driver in cash after the ride.

Reply to: Advice about SIM Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted