We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days Cape Towm

Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 days Cape Towm

Hello everyone , can someone please comment on my plans for South África trip Abril 2018 is this doable?

Day1- arrive CT airport at 14h00 pick up car rental, check in airbnb at Green Point, chill out for rest of the day after long flight (maybe check out VA Waterfront)

Day 2- If we are lucky with the weather Table Mountain early morning / Robben Island afternoon.

Day 3-Early morning hike to Lions Head, 10 am Long Street for Historic walking tour (tour is +/- 90 min), if we have time off to Signal Hill for fireing of canons.

In the afternoon a couple hours at Kirstenbosch Garden and a drive through Constantia Wine Region.

Day 4 –Wine route, morning Frankhoesk and afternoon Stellenboesch ( we only want to visit 2 or 3 wineries )

Day 5 – Cape Península Tour, leave Green Point to Simon Town, Boulders Bay, False Bay, Cape Point, to Scarbouroug , Nordhooek to Chapmas Peak, Camps Bay, Bantry Bay and back to Green Point.

Day 6 to Day 10 we will be on Garden Route tour with tour company.

Day 11 and Day 12 staying at Addo Park

Last day fly from PE to CT to catch international flight home.

We have a car for first 5 days so can be flexible and change order of things.

Thanks for any help and comments.

Mentioned in this post
Table Mountain
Table Mountain
16 975 Reviews
Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
Robben Island
Robben Island
6 975 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Lion's Head
Lion's Head
3 582 Reviews
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
3 281 Reviews
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Simon's Town
Simon's Town
Cape Town, South Africa
Boulders Beach
Boulders Beach
5 703 Reviews
Simon's Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
9 replies to this topic
Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

Sounds doable without killing yourselves. Take into account traffic in getting to all these places. If you find you like one place and want to spend extra time there, adjust your schedule accordingly.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 279 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

A couple of points.

Forget about "to Signal Hill for fireing of canons." There's nothing to see. Only one gun which is "fired" at Noon by an Internet timing signal so there aren't people around. You see a puff of smoke which you can see from lots of places around the city and hear the bang!

Then I don't really understand why you pick up a car for Cape Town. I would too also as it gives you maximum flexibility. However then you drop the car and go on a group tour along the Garden Route. MUCH better to keep the car and self drive. Staying where you want to and staying as long as you want in many placeson the way. No need for a guide (nothing to guide) or to be stuck in a mini-bus with a group you don't know for days on end. You can do one way to Addo and fly back from Port Elizabeth to connect to your international flight as you suggest. Having driven around the Peninsula, the Winelands and the City you'll be well used to driving by then - which is anyway easy here. The roads to the Garden Route and Addo are excellent and driving over 4/5 days would be excellent and relaxed. Self Drive in Addo is by far the best way to experience the park anyway.

Apart from having a better experience you will save significant cost and it's then YOUR holiday.

Otherwise you should have a great time and the weather in April should still be OK

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
3 281 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

Thanks for good advise.

Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

Thanks for tip about Signal Hill Van_de_Caab. I understand what you are saying about the car but do you mean that for first 5 days in Cape Town I don´t need a car? I am worried about traffic and hiring a car because of bad reviews from car rental company. Still a car gives you much freedom.

Mentioned in this post
Signal Hill
Signal Hill
3 281 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

i agree you probably don't need a car the first three days (two and half days). in fact, having a car will be more of an inconvenience (parking, driving in downtown area, etc).

uber is uber cheap in cape town. from green point to table mountain cable way will be about 5 USD. i'm guessing to the botanical garden won't be a few more dollars more. definitely can save you hassle and money not renting a car the first three days. airport to green point uber will be at most about $15.

you can pick up a car in downtown area. they do have a small surcharge for location, i believe it's like $5 extra dollars compared to the airport. you can return the car at a different location (same company). no penalty like there would be in the US.

Edited: 28 December 2017, 18:58
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 279 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

No my message meant that definitely I would also pick up a car to visit Cape Town and all the areas around. So much cheaper and much more flexible than using taxis, sightseeing buses and tours. All the fares add up. If you want to rent a small car using one of the big Internet Car Booking Agencies should be from around £75 (US95) per week and fuel is cheap. Add up all the costs for bus tours, airport transfers, taxis - it's going to be a lot more than £10 a day for two people. People post all over the world about problems with Car Rentals. I have hired in Dozens of countries around the world (most in South Africa) and never had a problem. IMO most issues come from people not reading and fully understanding the Hire Terms and Conditions and what is included and what not. The same people have just as many problems with Public Transport - read all the complaints all over the Internet about Uber, but again I've never had a problem - Why?

I absolutely agree the car gives you much more freedom. I always pick up a hire car no mater which city I visit for more than a couple of days. I always want to both see the city and travel out and away from it. And I often want to make my choice daily according to the weather. Parking in Cape Town is easy and cheap (or very often free). Roads are good, signage is clear and compared to cities in Europe, North America or Asia traffic is light and easy to negotiate.

Rent your car at Cape Town airport when you arive and drop it at PE airport when you leave - easy!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

just a small additional consideration: the lowest fare car rental is for stick shifts. if you're not used to driving on left side of the road with stick shift, you may want to consider renting an automatic which can come out to be about USD $25-30 a day. stick shift you can have it for about $15 a day.

definitely more freedom. i love renting cars. driving in cape town and its surrounding area is very easy. roads are good. people drive gently. parking is cheap. just not sure if you really need a rental car the first two and half days.

Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

Thank you all for your help I feel more confident on car hire for the full time after your comments.

Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days Cape Towm

Hello everyone,

I wish to thank you all for helping me plan my SA(Cape Town) trip your precious experience sure came in handy thanks for your pacience. First of all what is there not to love about South África I have been home for around a month and miss so much those beautifull mountains, beaches, winelands, wildlife, a bit of everything. I did do my original itinerary it was a bit rushed but I got an overall taste of the country and do need to go back for more. I was worried about renting a car in Cape Town and driving on the left but in the end it worked out fine I was based in Greenpoint so a car came in handy and gave freedom to explore but parking in CT center is a hassle and expensive. Never did I feel unsafe on the streets day or night and althought bothered sometimes by beggers a simple smile and walk away always worked and do be generous. My most treasured memory is absolutely hiking Lions Head early morning to see sun rise, just beautifull! I guess next would be my journey through Cape Península, on that day I had so many great experiences, beautifull coastal scenery, wildlife, penguins, baboons, ostrich, dassies, so many birds, some historic monuments, cape point, all in one day. The Garden Route Tour was also something to remember and not just beacause of what I visited but because of tour company Earthstompers I highly recommend this company best experience ever. I did the 5 day tour and then flew back to Cape Town from Port Elisabeth stayed on at Addo Elephant Park for an extra day stayed at Colchester.I was very lucky beacause it was a hot day and alot of elephants at the waterholes, did the morning drive with sanparks, viewed hienas, and some nocturnal animals, during the day lions, warthogs, springbock, antelope, kudu, red hartebeest, dung beetles, and so many birds.

My heart is full with beautifull memories of a country truley blessed. Thank you:)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Lion's Head
Lion's Head
3 582 Reviews
Reply to: 5 days Cape Towm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central
;