We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car with a driver

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car with a driver

Hi all,

I am coming to Cape Town mid Jan and have a table booked at Tokara in Stellenbosch on one of the days.

I have been quoted around 3000 Rand to hire a driver for the day, does this seem about right?

Can anyone recommend a cheaper option? A friend has said about asking an Uber driver but I’m not sure if that would be a good idea.

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car with a driver

R3000 is way too much. Why not request an Uber there and back separately when you need them. Price for an UberX one way to/from Tokara (normal traffic and surge pricing levels) is around R450. Depending exactly where in the city you are going from/to.

In the wide city area you should never have to wait much more than 5 mins for an Uber. Tokara shouldn't be much longer but check on the number of cars around the area on your phone say 30 mins before you need to leave and then call for a car at the appropriate time. As always you can see exactly where all available cars in the area are live at any instant in time.

2 x R450 is R900 total - automatically debited direct from your registered Credit Card with no tip required.

Edited: 27 December 2017, 15:36
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car with a driver

BTW just checked live on Google Maps right now, which would be at the end of a nice long lunch at Tokara, and the nearest Uber was 2mins away!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car with a driver

I thought that but didn’t know how likely I would be to get one at the restaurant but that doesn’t sound like a problem at all. Thanks for this.

Also, Can you recommend a vineyard to visit around there?

Reply to: Hiring a car with a driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted