We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve

OK, i got no responses in the Cape Town forum, so i’ll try here.....

We (2 adults, 2 boys 10 and 11) will be in Cape Town the week of New Years. Trying to figure out a budget-friendly and kid-friendly thing to do on the NYE.... My wife did a little research and it looks like some doings on the Waterfront, as well as concerts near Table Mtn. We kinda lean towards the non-touristy stuff, and expensive dinner parties at restaurants don’t interest us....but i have a soft spot for fireworks:-) We're staying in Camps Bay, but will likely have a car, so if necessary, we'll be mobile....to a point. Would rather not drive very far, especially at night...and after reading some previous threads, it looks like traffic can be a nightmare. I also saw in a thread something about going up to Signal Hill to watch the fireworks, but i also heard a lot of drunks go up there....

Thoughts?

Edited: 18 December 2017, 17:05
Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Lucky and Lost Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
14 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
246 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New Years Eve

Sadly it didn’t rain much this morning.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New Years Eve

Went to the concert at the gardens— saw a cool band called Hot Water... never heard of them, but they put on a great show... unfortunately, after 2 bouts of rain (luckily, we had almost an hour of no rain at the beginning of the set), the kids and wife had enough, so we bailed.... woulda been great to stick around and see at least part of Goldfish, the headliner, but it wasn’t to be...... of all days for it to rain, it had to be today:-(

Edited: 31 December 2017, 23:35
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: New Years Eve

You should have done a rain dance which most Capetonians would have been doing :) Anyway.... I’m sure you’re having a wonderful time here.... but yeah, the “New Year”week in Cape Town is usually chaotic wherever you go😜......

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New Years Eve

The weather has been great ever since, tho today, was by far, the hottest day so far.... went to the bird sancturary and i just about passed out from the heat!!! While it gets this hot, and hotter, back home (often with hi humidity), i came from -12ºC and snow the day i left chicago, so i haven’t had a chance to acclimate! Yesterday, we were stuck in traffic in kalk bay, and when we saw the line of cars going into cape point, i turned the car around... spent some quality time at the lighthouse, tho...

Stay tuned for the trip report....

Reply to: New Years Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central