We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve

OK, i got no responses in the Cape Town forum, so i’ll try here.....

We (2 adults, 2 boys 10 and 11) will be in Cape Town the week of New Years. Trying to figure out a budget-friendly and kid-friendly thing to do on the NYE.... My wife did a little research and it looks like some doings on the Waterfront, as well as concerts near Table Mtn. We kinda lean towards the non-touristy stuff, and expensive dinner parties at restaurants don’t interest us....but i have a soft spot for fireworks:-) We're staying in Camps Bay, but will likely have a car, so if necessary, we'll be mobile....to a point. Would rather not drive very far, especially at night...and after reading some previous threads, it looks like traffic can be a nightmare. I also saw in a thread something about going up to Signal Hill to watch the fireworks, but i also heard a lot of drunks go up there....

Thoughts?

Edited: 18 December 2017, 17:05
Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Lucky and Lost Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
14 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve

anybody have SOMETHING to share?

kinda surprised that all i'm hearing is crickets....in both cape town forums, no less...

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
246 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve

Have you asked the place where you will be staying this question? They might have ideas or have organised something. I can’t speak for everyone on this forum but mostly the locals arrange their own fun for New Year’s Eve and don’t venture to the touristy places like the V&A Waterfront. I do think it’s your safest option though -book a table somewhere casual, if it’s available - or eat as you walk.

A Google search brings up a few options too.

We have also been abroad at that time and have found that, unless you are with family/friends, it can be pretty much like any other evening if you don’t splurge and go somewhere that’s over the top.

All the best!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 164 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve

Every New Years Eve for quite a few years now we have gone to the open-air concert at Kirstenbosch Gardens. We will be there again this year. A wonderful New Year's Eve celebration with 6,000 Capetonians and visitors from all over the world - lying under the stars, with a glass (or 2 or3!) of chilled local bubbly on a warm, balmy mid-summer night. You definitely won't be able to do that in Chicago! Concerts are always headlined by a top local band, this year Goldfish.

You need to get tickets soon but there are still some available. This is the exclusive ticket site :

https:/…1474183971

Large open amphitheatre under the slopes of Table Mountain so as long as you get tickets in advance it's then first come, first served for places.

I and others gave a lot more information in the following thread a couple of years ago - for someone else from Chicago! General information about the concerts, particularly about getting there and back, but see from post #9 onwards specifically about NYE. BTW I have always found the crowds here MUCH more friendly and better behaved than at the Waterfront!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g312…

Edited: 22 December 2017, 13:13
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 164 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve

BTW Your boys will love it. Plenty of kids always there of all ages and good middle of the road bands. Around midnight everyone, of all ages, joins in singing and dancing. Much more relaxed atmosphere than at the Waterfront - which by that time is mostly about drinking. And, as people don't have fixed picnic places on the grass for the whole concert, kids can very easily get lost.

Edited: 22 December 2017, 13:22
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve

thanks for your responses. people always inquire about NYE here in the chicago forum, but it's not a real big deal, like it is in New york city....it's mostly about overpriced hotel/restaurant parties.... we do have a local music festival, which is more our speed (indoors, of course as it's 0 deg F outside right now!!)... my wife/kids are already in cape town (they've been in joburg for the past week) and i'm joining them this weekend.... if i'm not mistaken, i think she might have already booked tix for an out door concert or festival, but i'm not sure which one.... hopefully it's the one you recommended.

Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve

Due to high fire dangers this summer in CT, it would be well advised to check if in fact any fireworks will be taking place. Also be aware of severe water restrictions to this drought.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve

That’s fine with me— as long as we’re doing something outdoors on NYE.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve

Oh, and BTW, as i type this, it’s pouring rain in jo-burg......... my bag was soaked when i picked it up from the carousel.......

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 531 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve

Yes the worst of the drought and the concomitant water crisis are in the winter-rainfall corner of the country (Cape Town and surrounds). Other parts of the country are not doing that great water-wise but there is not currently a drought in Gauteng. And you're right, we did have a major storm this afternoon.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7 335 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve

And again, as i type this, it’s raining in cape town.... in fact, of the 3-4 times i’ve been here over the past 13 years, this is the first rainy day that i can recall...

Edited: 31 December 2017, 10:52
Reply to: New Years Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central